Mollies, platys, guppies and danios together??

Nov 3, 2005
New York
i was thinking, mollies, guppies and platys for my 10 gal to go with my 4 danios, will they all mix, cant seem to find much about this mix

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
All of them??? You need a ratio of 1 male for every 2-3 females with livebearers, so you could get 1 of those types but not all 3. You could get more guppies but you'd have a ton of babies in no time because, IMO, they are the easiest to breed. Have you checked out swordtails??? They are really similar to platies but I've seen them in a lot more colors than platies. Platies are normally yellow, orange or red. My brother got some cool pineapple marigold swordtails the other day and they are really colorful.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I think in general, mollies are a bad choice for a 10gal. Unlike other livebearers (guppies, platys) they can get considerably bigger - some species like the sailfin up to 5-6". And mollies do better in a brackish enviroment.
I would stick with either platys or swordtails, but probably not both if you already have guppies and danios in there.

Nov 3, 2005
New York
I only have four danios in the 10gal, looking for something to fill it . I like the platies and guppies. dunno if danios, platys and guppies will mix. Live Aquaria compatibility chart says yes.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Platys and guppies will get along fine..........I'm not sure about danios, I've never kept them. I think they are a 'busy fish' and may nip at the guppies tails if they are bored.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
They should all be compatible. I think that mollies and swordtails both get too big for a 10g. You can do platies and/or guppies, but either will stock your tank right up in a hurry unless you get all males. I've got platies and danios in my 10g and they get along well, no nipping or chasing except amongst the danios. You probably want to stick with no more than four more fish in there, so 3-4 platies would work fine.

Nov 3, 2005
New York
At my lfs we have nice orange platies, big ones too. i want mickey mouse ones but can find them around here, and i want guppies, but not guppy babies, dont know what id do with them all, so yea, prob all males.

Dec 18, 2005
N. Phoenix, AZ
Have you ever thought about putting together a species-only tank? A Guppy tank might be nice. You can trade the fry to the petstore for credit when you get overrun with wee ones. They make a nice breeding experiment as well if you're interested in that sort of thing. You can probably trade-in your Danios and maybe get some nice males to start out with. :)

Last edited:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Like someone else mentioned, I'm not positive what danios would do with really fancy male guppy tales. I suppose you could try it, but I don't know where you'd move him to if there are conflicts. You can get some nice looking female guppies. If you don't have lots of cover, you won't have too many babies growing up to adulthood.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
You don't have room for much in your 10. Going by your own self-described 2"/gallon rule (???), you already have 10" of fish and a snail (dunno how you count that one) currently.

If anything, the platies would be your best bet and they come in a variety of colors - red, orange, yellow, blue, then the various patterns as well.

While there are plenty of people who mix the two species, guppies would not tend to do well with danios -- especially the males considering there are only 4 danios. (the fewer the danios, the greater the likelyhood of nipping)

Swords and mollies really aren't 10 gallon fish. But, imo, neither are danios.

Nov 3, 2005
New York
i could put the danios in with my betta, lol, prob not, but did put a danio in with the betta for a couple of mins, the betta could have cared less. in my 29gal, all the fish get along with them, so if i have to, ill put em all in the 29