Kuhli loach with guppies

Jan 18, 2016
Hi I have a couple guppies, platies, neon tetras, kuhli loaches, red cherry shrimp, and some snails. Recently two of my male guppies have died because their fins were being nipped and eventually were eaten. I have no clue as to who ate my fishes. Please help!

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
my vote is on the other guppies. i had guppies that would just beat each other up and always had torn fins. then my next suspect would be the platies. neon tetras don't nip like that..loaches are on the bottom and shrimps probably ate them when they died.

how many guppies do you have? all males?

Jan 18, 2016
I had 4 males and 4 females. same for platies. the two that died were both males. i bought the males and femals as a pair from liveaquaria. btw my tank is a planted 65 gallon tank

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
should have plenty of room to hide and stuff for them. so you're now down to 2 males and 4 females? see if maybe their aggression will lower with less males in the tank? i still think it's the males going at each other based on my experience. i dont' think it's your tank parameters since it only affects the guppies.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Yeah, the wrong male/female ratio can lead to aggression issues with guppies. Something like 3 females per 1 male would be a bit calmer. They shouldn't die from just fin nipping. Make sure you keep up on your weekly water changes. Clean water with low nitrates makes healing happen fast. Kuhlis need a group, sand substrate, specific feeding and hiding spaces to be comfortable and live long lives.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Yep, like arcab4 said, sinking food is a good option for them, as is feeding them after lights-out so the other critters in the tank don't get to it first. That's how I feed some of my corys, depending on what other piglets.. er.. I mean fish are in with them.