Is this tank overstocked?

eah

Small Fish
Jun 4, 2006
Mass
Is this tank overstocked? (photos added 7/4)

I have a 30 gallon tank with a Penguin 350 filter running. Would the following plan overstock the tank?

6 Tiger Barbs
3 Albino Corydoras
1 Rubberlip Pleco (max size 4", current size 1.5")
1 Blue Gourami
2 Platies or Tetras (haven't decided which ones to get yet)

Thanks in advance for your help. Also, the above fish were all recommended to me as being okay with the tiger barbs, any feedback on the stocking plan would be greatly appreciated!!

ps. In case anyone is wondering the tank is already cycled and contains 5 assorted live plants.

Last edited:

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
You look ok to me. You do need to figure out if you have platies or tetras. Tetras need to be in a larger group of at least six. A quick google image search should tell you if they are platies or not, as the difference is pretty easy to see.

eah

Small Fish
Jun 4, 2006
Mass
The tank was cycled back in January (but it wasn't fishless). Right now it is empty except for one pleco because the goldfish living in it have moved to a pond.

Sorry about the confusion with the tetras/platies -- it's just a stocking plan so I hadn't decided between the two. Am I right that I don't have room for an additional four tetras though? Does that mean I need to scratch them from my list?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Doh! Reading is fundamental!

I missed the part about this being a future plan. You have room for a nice school of tetras as long as you stick with the smaller species.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
IMO I would do 3 Mollies (1 Male, 2 Females). They tend to be able to handle themselves better with Semi-Aggressive Fish. And then that would be it, full tank. Just make sure to stay on top of the water changes.

Edit: Or if you want to do Tetras then do a small group of like Serpea Tetras or Redy Eye Tetras. But IMO it would be nice to have the one group of fish and then a few others randomly. I hope that I helped.

Last edited:

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Im not trying to be rude but are you saying to add 2 schools of fish?? Rasboras tend to be smaller in the first place and putting them with a semi-aggressive fish is not a good idea IMO. You might want to becareful giving advise. If your not sure look things up first.

eah

Small Fish
Jun 4, 2006
Mass
Thanks for all of your help! I will post photos when I am able to get a few shots. After carefully considering all of your comments, I have decided to go with:

6 Tiger Barbs
1 Blue Gourami
3 Spotted Corydoras
5 Serpae Tetras
1 rubberlip pleco

Thank you again!

eah

Small Fish
Jun 4, 2006
Mass
guppy_newbe said:
Edit: Or if you want to do Tetras then do a small group of like Serpea Tetras or Redy Eye Tetras. But IMO it would be nice to have the one group of fish and then a few others randomly. I hope that I helped.
I guess I must have misunderstood this then when I thought I finished making my stocking plan. Could you explain what you meant about being able to add a small group tetras without overstocking? Did you mean I could have a group smaller than five, like perhaps three? Or did I totally misinterpret you?

eah

Small Fish
Jun 4, 2006
Mass
That makes sense and is closer to my original plan anyway. I'll drop either the tiger barbs or the tetras. Thanks!

eah

Small Fish
Jun 4, 2006
Mass
I think I'm going to stick with the serpae tetra since I totally fell for them as soon as I first saw a photo, but other than that, that's what my stocking plan will be (except that obviously I won't have 12 serpae tetras since they get bigger than neon tetras do).

Thanks for the input!

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
I know what you mean about falling for serpaes...when i first saw them i knew i had to have them, i even picked out names for a group of four :rolleyes: If they weren't notorious fin nippers theyd prolly be in my tank already!

eah

Small Fish
Jun 4, 2006
Mass
Thanks, for the heads up!

Luckily, I've already gotten the fish and the tank was never empty -- the pleco who was in there before stayed and I got the new fish very shortly after my goldies left for their new pond homes. ;)