I need suggestions

Fishman1995

Superstar Fish
May 11, 2010
North Carolina
I need a bottom dweller for my 5.5 gallon. I have to have some kind of one. Im thinking of getting either a trio of Oto's (would grow some algae in my uncles pond first of course) a group of some sort of shrimp or some dwarf corys. Can anyone suggest which is best for my current setup. Id order the shrimp online (already cleared it with mama) and id like a group of at least 6 shrimp if i got any. What are easy kinds to care for? Thanx in advance for all help given :)

Nov 5, 2009
CT
I need a bottom dweller for my 5.5 gallon. I have to have some kind of one. Im thinking of getting either a trio of Oto's (would grow some algae in my uncles pond first of course) a group of some sort of shrimp or some dwarf corys. Can anyone suggest which is best for my current setup. Id order the shrimp online (already cleared it with mama) and id like a group of at least 6 shrimp if i got any. What are easy kinds to care for? Thanx in advance for all help given :)
eeehhhhhh your kind of overstocked as it is. if you must get something i'd get a few cherry shrimp

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Why do you think you need bottom dwellers. When I first joined this site and ask that question I was told they weren't necessary. I don't have any bottom dwellers in any of my tanks. I don't really consider otos bottom dwellers - they are all over the place, but mostly on the glass, plants and decor. If you are thinking about cleaning the gravel, that is what the siphon is for and it is probably as cheap as three otos or six shrimp.

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009

If fish you have are all male (guppies), then I would possibly add six to eight shrimp. If the guppies you have are mixed male/female then you really need to consider the numerous baby guppies that will increase the load on your filter.
Ideally, I would were it me,, be looking for larger tank as opposed to more fish. Lot's more options with say 20 gal tank and they aren't that expensive.

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
eeehhhhhh your kind of overstocked as it is. if you must get something i'd get a few cherry shrimp
What? Four guppies in five gallons is overstocked?
Believe your five gallon tank if stock listed is still there, to be overstocked.
At least much more so than original poster's.

Nov 5, 2009
CT
What? Four guppies in five gallons is overstocked?
Believe your five gallon tank if stock listed is still there, to be overstocked.
At least much more so than original poster's.
oh thats my bad. posted that right after i got up, didn't have my glasses on, picked the wrong fish on aqadvisor:p

yes mine is very overstocked. i aint denying that

Fishman1995

Superstar Fish
May 11, 2010
North Carolina
I am getting a bigger tank later in the year. Right now i gotta make do with my 5.5 gallon. Yes, my 5.5 gallon contains 4 Male Tequila Sunrise Guppys. I hate mixing sexes cause you get SO many baby's its ridiculous. I figured shrimp was the best way to go. Im thinking Red Cherry, Tiger, or Crystal Blue.

As a small update, My Anacharis have begun shooting up new growth as all my plants have :) happy happy happy :D

Fishman1995

Superstar Fish
May 11, 2010
North Carolina
second update. I started back feeding my fish Freeze dried krill and now one of my male guppys is HORRIBLY constipated. He is huge. So i just got done feeding him cooked Carrots and the rest got some too just in case. He's been that way for 2-3 days. When should he look normal again or at least better.

i am throwing the krill away!!!!! that stuff is the devil and i just thought, that stuff killed one of my last guppys i had from constipation. It makes there stomach explode out!!!! EVIL! never use it!

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Have you checked Aqadvisor with your plan? With 3 guppies and 8 Tiger Shrimp your tanks is stocked 142%. In fact he doesn't think guppies are advisable in a tank that small. What happened to your 10g tank? A while back I thought you said your Mom said you could set it up again.

Fishman1995

Superstar Fish
May 11, 2010
North Carolina
She did, then she put the hamster in there which is why she is buying me a new one closer to christmas. I dont really think my tank is THAT overstocked with 3 guppys. I mean come on, there tiny and they dont move that much. What do you guys think?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Although Aqadivisor says the guppies don't belong in a 5g tank, its probably the 6 - 8 shrimp that would really overstock it. Have you researched this project at all? Like I said before, I always learn something when you go off with a new plan so I looked up Tiger Shrimp: Safe Tankmates for Shrimp .:. Inhabitants that are safe for Freshwater Aquarium Shrimp
I have no personal experience with shrimp (except eating them) but it sound like your guppies might enjoy an exotic meal also.

Fishman1995

Superstar Fish
May 11, 2010
North Carolina
But the shrimp will be half the size of the shrimp and if i order them online i get adults. I dont see how they'd eat them except the baby's if they have any.

I myself have no experince with real shrimp. But ive kept Krayfish, as you remember :) those things need 50% water changes per day for clean water, i assume shrimp are less messy lol.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I would definitely not assume the shrimp are less messy then crawdads, but even if they are they will still be messier than your fish. You haven't said what filter you are using on that tank and with that kind of stocking you will need the test kit. I think you are putting the cart before the horse again. And - if you are buying on line - aren't the shipping charges going to be as much or more than the shrimp? Oh, and its my understanding the fish don't necessarily swallow the shrimp, they nibble away at the critters.

Fishman1995

Superstar Fish
May 11, 2010
North Carolina
The cite i chose gives free shipping in the U.S. and im using and Aqua Tech 5-15 filter plus a little powerhead for current. Its okay if there messy, il just keep up my water changes i been doing every 2-3 days. I like to give a waterchange of about 15-20% every 2-3 days.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
You are going to spent $39.99 on shrimp- they probably don't ship groups of less than 10, but you could ask - and you still don't have a test kit or siphon?? That's $4 a piece. You also need that 10g tank for what you want to do. Isn't the 10g tank kind of small for the hamster? I never dealt with hamsters, but aren't they usually in some type of cage?

Fishman1995

Superstar Fish
May 11, 2010
North Carolina
She's a dwarf teddybear hamster. She was in a cage but she had became hoodini the great escaper :) so we moved her in there which is bigger than her old cage.

http://www.alphaprobreeders.com/products/Tiger-Shrimp-{47}-10.html

these guys sell also but dont have the arrive alive guarantee the other website does. Yes i would pay that much for 10 Tiger Shrimp. I suppose i want be getting shrimp then cause my new tank im getting will house my Dwarfs and i dont want them to snack on my 40 dollar shrimp.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
You have quite a mother if she would fork over $40 for 10 shrimp! - and you still need the test kit and siphon. Anyway, I would take the $40 and buy the test kit and siphon and hopefully you would have almost $20 left to buy a 20 gallon tank - just the tank - which should only cost that much.($1 a gallon) You should have the hood and light left from the one you broke and you must have a filter and heater from one of your setups. Your first post on this Thread used the word "need a bottom feeder" and I still don't know why you need one. The forum suggested I didn't and because of all the difficulties I heard, I don't have one in any of my tanks. The mollies and vacuuming do a pretty good job. Be careful with what and how much you feed.