how much current is too much current?

ccondardo

Small Fish
Feb 21, 2009
i have a 10g tank with a 5-15g filter on it. i cant figure out how to adjust the filter power so i think i have to live with it.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Healthy fish should not have issues swimming against a pretty strong current. How strong is too strong? If the whole tank is moving, the current is too strong. The fish need to be able to get away from the flow of the water if needed. Some types of fish need less current, such as bettas.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
One thing that wasnt mentioned is that if you feel there is to much current for your fish you can add driftwood or some other decoration to create breaks that will give you areas that are relatively current free. I use this method to give my darters in my 90G tank an area of high flow but the other fish never feel it unless they go to that section.

Feb 13, 2009
Colorado
MissFishy is definitely right. I have a 30-60 gallon filter in my 20 long and it creates quite the ruckus in the water column, but my fish are used to it now. Think of it as always having to walk with weights on your ankles. Eventually you don't even notice them anymore. Just make sure you have sturdy, heavy aquarium decor that won't get pushed over by the current and squash an unsuspecting aquarium citizen.

DarthPadre

Large Fish
Feb 8, 2009
I use two HOB filters and an In-Tank filter with a grand total of over 500 GPH on a 55 gal. tank. This is over twice what is "needed" and my fish have no problem at with the currents at all. I also know there are folks out there who have an even grater ratio than I do (for a freshwater tank) so no need to really worry.

Mturner615

Large Fish
Dec 8, 2005
Harrison Twp. Michigan
There is really no current "too strong," imo. Some fish that are more delicate probably shouldn't have too strong of a current, but most fish will eventually learn to adjust to a strong current.

I've always had the current from the filter, and one or two bubble bars or stones in each tank, and all of my fish have learned to deal with the strong current. If anything, it makes them stronger swimmers, and gives them more exercise.

kayliwolf76

Medium Fish
Mar 3, 2009
Betta Strange Behaviour Cuteness

My betta is pretty goofy. He usually stays away from the water flow but sometimes he swims in it and gets pushed around. Then he swims away looking as happy as a clam. Then he'll make a circle and do it again. He will even chase fish out of his way to make this circle. He does it four or five times then goes back to his favorite corner.*BOUNCINGS*BOUNCINGS