how many fry batches can a platy have?

ladyhawk

Large Fish
Oct 3, 2003
www.geocities.com
Hi all...new here, really need some help. I recently bought a female platy and she gave birth the same night I got her. We saved about 15 babies from the other fish. This was about 3-3 1/2 weeks ago. She looks preganet again. I know other fish can breed once and have several batches from the one breeding session. What about the Platies? Can she be getting ready to have more...she has a dark spot in her belly again. And if she is going to have more, about how long from one birth to the next batch?HELP!!

Jul 31, 2003
Clemson, SC
www.myspace.com
Yes platys can have alot of births right after each other. She most likly will ave more. About the how long question, they can be pregnant, give birth and become pregnant again within a week, i think. They ususally give birth within 1-4 weeks.
Hope this helps!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Yep...I'm sure she's going to have more :) If her gravid spot is dark then, even moreso. Platies are like every other livebearer...they can have babies every 4 weeks or so...and even if there aren't any males around, they can have several broods. Not sure how many...I recently seperated my male guppies from my female guppy and so I guess I'll find out heh :D

As for exactly when she'll have them, there aren't really any good ways to tell. Some people say they look more square instead of round before they give birth...sometimes they get lethargic and dont eat much...usually you'll just wake up one morning and there will be little ones swimming around :) I would put some cover for the fry in the tank...some floating plants work nicely...and then dont stress about it.

ladyhawk

Large Fish
Oct 3, 2003
www.geocities.com
thanks

well cool! Thanks for the quick answers. I think I'm going to put her in a breeder net and hope for the best. It has been a few weeks since the last bunch, so maybe soon with this next. She was pretty cool about not eating the last ones. I hope she will be good about the next.

ladyhawk

Large Fish
Oct 3, 2003
www.geocities.com
Well, since everyone is so knowageable here. Here is another question about the platies. I also have what I though was a male platy. How do you know for sure what sex they are? I knew the female was a female cause of the dark spot and then babies. But the other one is bright orange and about twice the size of the female, very round also. There dose not appear to be any dark spot like there is gravid spot.So any pointers of how to sex them would be great.

ladyhawk

Large Fish
Oct 3, 2003
www.geocities.com
Wonder if she is just fat?

Well then I have 2 female platies. But it is stange to me that the tiny one had almost 40 babies the night I brought her home and the big orange one appears to be very round and fat. No dark spot though.The orange one is twice the size of the little grey mama. Is that normal?:confused:
And when the little grey one had all thoose babies we caught the first 20 with a net and put them into a small tank to try and save them from the other fish in the big tank.Then we caught mama and put her in the little tank to finish up and she had like 20 more.After about 1 day we only saw about 20. Did the stress of moveing the new borns kill them?:(
And this time around I have her in a breeder net to try and have all the babies rounded up and then just take her out when she is done.How long should I leave the brood in the breeder net till I put them in their own tank?
You guys have been great with answers so far thanks!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I think chances are good that she ate them...not that they died from the stress of moving them (unless of course the tank that you moved them to wasn't the same in temperature and water chemistry...)

The momma wont eat the babies when she's having them....but when she gets out of "labor mode" she'll have a snack. (few hours I think) Which is why you want to have cover for the fry in a tank)

I hugely dislike breeder nets and traps because it stresses them out so much and you dont really even know when they're going to have the babies. I would much rather have them give birth in their natural surroundings and catch the babies (assuming you actually want them). I also dont net the babies...I take a clear cup and take them out with some water from the original tank because I think that stresses them out less.

As for one being bigger than the other...sure :) Age has a lot to do with it. My last remaining female guppy is pretty fat herself...but I dont think she's prego.

HTH