How long can tropical fish survive cold water?

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
This storm has us scheduled to be without power for the rest of the week. I can't even do water changes because im afraid the water is too cold... I've tried hot hands (heat packs) taped to the outside of the tanks, buy we are out of them, and they don't do too much anyway. The house temps were in the lore 50's yesterday afternoon, so I'm guessing the tank temps are about there too (no thermometers. Hadn't needed one till now). How much longer can they survive this? They are the fish in my sig. I'm really attached and don't want to lose them... And I don't want them to suffer. I know they are likely to slow down in the colder temps, so I havn't been offering too much food. Hoping that helps keep the water just a tad cleaner through all this. If I could take them with us, I would, but it's too difficult to catch them all and find things to put them in. also, I'm not sure how well they would do inbags back and fourth from my inlaws... Tho that may be best huh?
Any suggestions or thoughts would be great. Thanks.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I don't suppose anyone has a small generator you could borrow. That way you could run your refrigerator and keep the tanks warm at the same time. There are also some small propane heaters that can be run indoors. You'd need to put a tent around them because it wouldn't heat a very big space. If that idea isn't possible, I would combine the first three tanks in your signature and set that tank up at your in-laws. Then take the empty 10g and put the gourami and that tanks population in that tank. I don't know how big those fish are but they should survive for a couple of days in a crowded situation. Power outages are frequent here and because we have a well, it also means no water. Over the years we have learned to live with it fairly well. We now have a generator which takes most of the "fun" out of it, but we still don't have water in that situation. We live in the country and I will have to admit - I miss the absolute quiet when the power was out.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; I have had power off for a few days during winter before. House temp was in the high 40's at lowest point. Fish were ok as far as temp went. They had a gradual cool down and it took a while for the temp to come back up. Even tho many of the fish we keep are considered tropical, they do seem to be able to handle cool temps for a time. I do not know what low temp would be bad for most of your fish, the danio's and guppies should be fine. The betta may be the most botheredfrom my experience. Not sure about the others.

Your tanks do not appear to be overcrowded except if the plecos are large. Do not feed at all for up to a week if the power stays off, the fish can handle that fine. Keep an eye on the fish gasping at the surface which can be a sign of low O2. There are battery powered air pumps available that can be hooked to an air stone for this.

If you have a sump or canister filter, you may want to be cautious about turning them back on. I have read posts from members whose filters spoiled during a long power outage and when turned back on dumped enough bad stuff to kill some fish. After a few days the beneficial bacteria (bb) may be dead in the filter media anyway. There should be enough bb in the tank with the fish, so it may be just as well to clean the filters before turning them back on. Run some bubblers and/or air powered sponge filters in the meantime.

If you decide to try to run emergency heat such as propane or such be sure to get a CO detector.

This is also a good chance to plug low stocking densities. i have gone this way for some years and have not lost fish to power outages in a long while. Tanks in the distant past were set up without any filtration at all, (Yes I am that old.) Your listed stocking is not too much it seems to me. Good luck.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I've had this happe to me before, or have a heater blow and have to go a few days until I could get a new one. If you can keep the temperature pretty stable, I would say 2-3 days. Keep the tank wrapped in blankets and keep the room as warm as you can. Hope it works out!

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
A lot will depend on the outside temp. If it is in the 30s you have a problem and it looks like a lot of places back there are. Once your house gets "cold soaked" as I call it, It takes a while to warm anything up. (I'm surprised you don't have a thermometer.) I lost a betta because it got too cold in the house here a couple of years ago when we were gone for the Thanksgiving week. It got close to freezing temp in the house. At the time I didn't have any other tanks and his didn't have a heater. Goldfish can actually get frozen in ice and thaw out and be just fine, although I wouldn't recommend it.

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
It got very cold. I lost 7 fish - 1 female gourami, my ram, and all my tetras. My baby whale, the plecos and the betta were in bad shape, as were many of the live bearers. Luckily, lisa noticed this when she got home in the afternoon and pulled the gourami & company out of that tank. There was just enough warm water in our water tank to fill half of a large mixing bowl. When I got there I checked on the rest of the fish and yanked them all. They are currently in a10g that we brought over and set up. I hope the rest make it. Im really sad I lost my neons, my ram and my other female gourami. When I put my hand in the tanks to move the decorations so I could get to the fish, my hand felt frozen. Poor fish. I hope they all get along while in their crowded temp home. They seem just happy to be warmer. I am keeping an eye on my betta and the rest of the crew. They seem ok for the last few hours. I made sure to grab a bunch of plants and 3 of the hides to break up the space and give visual barriers. Strangely enough tho, no one but the baby whale is making use of any of them. The plants seem to be the hides of choice.
Cross your fingers that they all make it without aggression problems. I really hope we get our power back soon...

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
I just realized I think I forgot my garra rufa... Crap. I really like him. I just don't remember seeing him in the bowl, or the tank they are in now... Shoot. :( poor little guy. Hopefully lisa grabbed him and I just don't remember seeing him...