How long can fish survive in plastic bags?

MaddEnemy

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2004
Visit site
My order was sent South West Airlines and was to arrive 15 hours later. I get to the air port/cargo and the plane is running 2 1/2 hours late. SO I stick around and at 11:30 the lady tells me my cargo "fish was not on the plane and after some calling NO ONE KNOWS where it is.

My guess is I will get it 30 to 40 hours after they were put in the bag if I am lucky. "Sometime before noon, crosses fingers".

Any chance these guys will make it?

I am not the violent type but after all this time cycling, pre-ordering my fish "a few hard to find or last ones" and now this! I would love to beat up someone at SW about now!

TurbineSurgeon

Superstar Fish
Feb 27, 2004
Dallas, TX
Visit site
If they were packed correctly, they should make it. After all, a lot of fish get shipped from overseas, have to clear customs, etc. Most online stores offer a DOA guarantee. Sure, it can be a hassle, but you should get what you orderred in decent condition.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I have heard of some people sending fish priority mail (2-3 days) and I assume most fish make it.

You should let the company you ordered from know. If the fish arrive safely, you should still be able to get a refund on shipping if it wasn't delivered on time.

Aug 10, 2004
Visit site
I'm not sure how long the can last but I would immagine in excess of 24 hours.

I guess the main thing you have to worry about is the ammonia levels in the water and the o2 levels.

Most fish are fasted (<--god that word just looks wrong) prior to being shipped, so that they dont make their water filthy. Also there is usually a fair amount of air put in the bags.

I had a mate that worked in the pet department of a "reputable" DIY store in the UK. He told me that the tropical fish were usually delivered late at night and just left outside in the loading bay until the morining. This was January when he told me this. :eek:

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
when fish are packed for transit - there are a few options that the sender can use.

chemicals that lock out ammonia build up - more chemicals that produce oxygen - pure oxygen to top up the bag - stun chemicals to slow down the fishes metabolism - the list is endless

add to that heat or chill packs etc.........

when your fish arrive after such a journey, the water they are in may be pretty gummed up with all these chemicals, and care should be taken to acclimatise the fish to your tank water.

float the bag in your tank, and splash a little tank water into the bag at regular intervals to get the fish used to its new environment - don't rush this proceedure - you'll only get one chance to get it right

hope they're ok.....

MaddEnemy

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2004
Visit site
Is this a science? "Not being funny here"

For real should I put a 1/2 a shot glass of tank water in the bag every 15 mins or so and for how long.... till I can put them in the tank? I ask because if it matters I would like to know the times so I don't over do it, or under do it.

I would hate to put the fish in the tank after an hour of the bag sitting in the tank and I should have waited 3 hours....

I know not to put the bag water in the tank, to poor the water and fish into a net and then place the fish in the tank.

I will test the Ph and Hardness of the water in the bags and hope it is close to mine.

AndyL

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Calgary AB
There is some science to it, but lately there are some competing theories of how to handle acclimatization. Many of the larger cichlid (Angels, Discus and some south americans) breeders are now recommending the "Grab and plop" method.... Reason being, once you open the bag - Ammonia/ammonium levels go kind of wacky (as before they didn't have much O2 available - and the CO2 levels were rather high) Most would rather the fish were put into clean water ASAP for health reasons.

I used to be a big advocate of the airline syphon drip method - these days, Net the fish and dump em into their new tanks - the less time spent in that cold nasty water the better.

That said - follow your breeders instructions... otherwise DOA guarantee wont be honored.

Andy

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
In the case of sploshing a bit into the bag at intervals - I tend to literally do just that - by hand - not measured - every 5 mins until the bag level has doubled. In my case this is to avoid Ph shock, as mine is low, and my LFS's are usualy high. It may be unecessary, but what the hey - doesn't take much to do ......and gives me something to do while I wait for the temps to equalise (it kinda helps that along too)

Equally - I'm not going to disagree with what Andy says about all this - it's a personal choice - no definates involved. Fair point about the guarantee issue tho -

Gets tricky doesn't it........lol

TaffyFish

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2003
Visit site
"grab and plop" - I love it and actually it might well be the lesser of two evils. I have bought fish by mail order a couple of times and the bag water, complete with remnants of the BagBuddies the shipper used was pretty yuck after 18 hours or so. I don't suppose an unscientific mix in a bucket with some of my tank water would have hurt though, only delayed the full benefit of clean water.

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
lol - you sure know how to pick a question with no sure answer

I would imagine it depends entirely on the enviromental history of the individual fish (and its state of health)

All depends what it's used to..........

MaddEnemy

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2004
Visit site
They lost my fish!

I went to the airport "they told me it was on that flight" and the searched the plane twice and it wasn't on there.

I call SWA and they keep telling me the next flight, the next flight.

If not I have to go through claims and so on....

I use to like SWA but the just lost me as a customer, well not really! Can't beat $99.00 air fares but I am pissed at them now!

Will I ever get any fish? Is there a higher power at work here?

ecotank

Superstar Fish
Aug 30, 2003
Palm Springs, Ca
home.earthlink.net
Tell the SWA claims dept that the fish were prescribed by your shrink to calm your nerves, without the fish being there on time as scheduled you went on a rampage and broke your 50" plasma TV, and a bunch of other stuff that they are now responsible for! Just tell them you don't want to drag them through court so a check for 10k and the fish will make you go away. :D

MaddEnemy

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2004
Visit site
Well guess what just showed up at the airport some 1, 2, 3 .....20 hours later then what it should have been.

All swimming just fine... few. Smaller then I thought so that probably helped

Got a question. I noticed that some have a fin nipped at, do they grow back or is it scared for life?