How do I feed my fish when going on vacation?

Oct 22, 2002
Hi,

I'm going home for thanksgiving for seven days. I have a 5 gallon freshwater tank, (eclipse Hex) with ten fish (three tiger barbs, three zebras, two neons, a blue danio, and a red tailed shark.) All the fish are on the smallish side. The hex tank has no exposed edges to put an automatic feeder on. So i think my only other option would be  one of those food pyramids. Do they work?

If not, I know someone i could ask to feed the fish while I'm gone, any suggestions on what to tell this person so they don't kill my fish?

Thanks,

R

ronrca

I have never used the 'Holiday' foods so I cant comment. I use an automatic feeder. If you want to ask someone to feed your fish, prepare the food before you leave. Put in small containers or bags the amount you usually feed and 'order' this person only to use the prescribed amount. This way your fish will be happy with the regular food and the person will not over or under feed.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
i agree with ronrca in regards about letting other people feed your fish. that's probably the best way. i've tried that holiday food thing once before for about 3 days..no fish died but they did seem pretty hungry when i got back.

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Not feeding vs friend feeding?

I think the bigger risk is having someone feed your tank because most of the time people will overfeed and that is worst than having them not eat for 7 days.  I would just feed the fish generously before you leave for vacation and they will be fine.  I have done this in the past and none of my community fishes (freshwater) have died so far.

keprydak

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
TX
www.xanga.com
My one question is... how did you get a red-tailed shark to eat in a five gallon aquarium? I couldn't even get mine to eat for almost a month in a 25! huh...

I'd use a food pyramid. I have every time so far, and I'm about to put one in my tanks today. Make sure they say "doesn't cloud water" on the back though. Aquarium Pharmacutecials, I think, makes ones like that. Have a good trip :)