Help! Weird orange stuff in my saltwater tank!

Jul 17, 2003
Kentucky
Help! I came home tonight and there was this weird orange stuff on the bottom of the saltwater tank (see pics). Its been cycling for about 10 days now, all the tests were normal... Is this normal or is there something wrong? Please help!

Attachments

Jul 1, 2003
Northern NJ
Visit site
ive been running my125 for over 2 years now and i first let it run for 1 month before i added 3 blue damsels and a Domino, the nlet it run with them for a few weeks before i added my live rock (which ive been adding to ever so often). Then i started to stock the tank with my yellow tang ,1/2 black angel and green chromis. I then added this cute little snowflake eel and then he got bigger andf bigger as my fish numbers diminished. He even ate the tang! The 1/2 black is doing fine though. im moving my tank in August into my living roon where i remodeled the room for the tank to be enclosed into the wall, hopefully when i do this, ill have my 55 running for the eel as i want to restock the tank soon. Thios is how long i waited to cycle my tank, but im a patient person

Jan 19, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
Or the nitrate is so low it's unmeasurable. Also , and it's very, very unfortunate , the only testing of nitrite and nitrate test kits I've seen indicates they're , um well, crap. Don't worry. Get some crabs and snails in and see what happens. As you've had a degree of patience I think you should be ok.

Aug 3, 2003
Laurel, MD
that orange stuff is an algea that grows because of too little lighting. I had it so bad that you could pick it up in a sheet and now with 3 48" bulbs (1 10k, 2 actinic) it has all complteley deminished. And amonia levels wont rise unless you have an amonia sourcee. Any fish? I cycled my tank with live rock, live sand, a clarki clown fish, and a blue damsel. It took roughly a month.