Fin Nipping in my new set up

Aug 11, 2016
Hi i am a beginner i currently have a 15 gallon tank with

x6 black widow tetra mixed of short and long fins
x2 Polka dot loach (to be returned to aquatics store when to big)
x1 Dwarf Gourami

My tetras keep chasing each other and fin nipping my dwarf gourami. My gourami is hiding in the corner and if he comes out they are straight after him. He isnt able to eat due to this.

My water levels are perfect and my tank is heavily planted with bogwood caves also.

Any suggestions?

Aug 12, 2016
I'm not quite sure myself but, I have had this happen once with a Tiger Barb. If you are able you can bring the Dwarf Gourami back to to pet store.(If you got it at a pet store and your guarantee is not up yet). However another possible solution is to separate them. The last idea I have is that you can get another Dwarf Gourami to team up and may fight back a little to show them who's boss. That is what I did with my Angel Fish and the Tiger Barb. It unfortunately did not work and had to bring the Tiger Barb back to the pet store. It will not work 100% of the time but it is worth a try. Hope this helped out.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
iv'e kept black widow tetras that were more on the aggressive side. unfortunately i think being a smaller tank doesn't give them enough spacing.

you should either find a new home for the gourami...or hey...get a bigger tank! :)