Filter Question

vahluree

Medium Fish
Jan 18, 2009
Euless, TX
I have this HOB filter:
Aquarium Filtration and Water Quality: Aqueon Power Filters at Drs. Foster and Smith

It uses these filter cartridges:
Aqueon » Products » Large Cartridge

I don’t like them because I can’t really wring them out effectively due to the “frame” it has. I also don’t want to use the carbon inside the cartridge, reason being I have live plants. Currently I have been cutting the cartridge at the top and pouring out as much of the carbon as I can, and it’s getting annoying. I use the cartridge for 3 months and then replace it. Plus, I think the cartridges are a little over-priced for what they are… but I am kind of a miser, lol…
I want to try a different filtration media. I hear many people on the board refer to using “filter floss.” Is this what you are talking about?
Aquarium Mechanical Filtration Media: Blue Bonded Filter Pads

What about something like this?
Micron Filter Pads

I’ve never seen either of these products at my lfs, or maybe I just don’t know it when I see it! :eek:
Basically are those products (or similar products) what I should be looking for? It would certainly be a lot cheaper and easier to deal with. My hope is that I can stretch something like that out to 4 or 6 months maybe.
Am I on the right track?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If you really want to save money, get some polyester batting (for making quilts) from the craft store or big box store (Target, etc.). What you do is cut the filter fiber off the cartridges and use rubber bands to attach the batting to the frame. A huge roll of the batting costs about $5 and will last a good couple of years.

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
Were it me, I might check to see that polyester batting has not been treated with flame retardents. Could maybe find plain variety of polyester.