Female Betta and Guppy Fry?

DarkLies

Large Fish
Nov 9, 2009
Louisiana
Okay, so, my mother gave me a female Betta fish recently *PEACE!*
She was under the impression that they didn't need a tank...just a small bowl (such as one a little bigger than they come in)
Instead of killing the poor fish that way, I thought I could put her in a bigger tank :cool:
One problem: my mother doesn't want Jasmine in her tank (community with guppies, tetras, pleco, and a platy) and my father sure as hell doesn't want her in his tank (cichlid, crawfish, minnows, baby perch, pleco)
I'm not allowed to get another tank: I simply have no room for another tank. So, could I put her in a one gallon with my six 1 month old guppy fry and single baby crawfish? (Yes, I know that a one gallon is wayy too small, but when they older and bigger, I'm going to place them in my mother's tank.)
Would she eat the fry and would the crawfish hurt her?
I still know that this is not proper for a Betta *SICK* but I think it's slightly better than a non- filtered, heated, aerated bowl.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
K, she'd actually be okay in the non-filtered, non-aerated bowl, but she won't be as happy as she would be in a community tank. The crawfish won't hurt her, but I would be concerned about her eating the guppy fry. Why doesn't your mom want her in her community tank? Females actually do really well in peaceful community tanks such as hers. The only problem I would forsee is that because Jasmine is by herself, she might try to beat up on the other community members a little since she doesn't have other females to "play" with. But, that entirely depends on her personality. I have some females that I wouldn't hesitate in tossing in with a big community all by herself, but a few of mine would be too aggressive. Also, how big is Jasmine? If she's still small yet (around an inch or so), she'd do fine by herself in the tropical community. She'd be either the same size or smaller than the rest of the fish, so she really wouldn't bother them then. As for the one gallon unfiltered, unaerated bowl/tank...two of my males are in 1.5gal hex's that aren't aerated or filtered and they're perfectly fine. Sure, they may not be as happy as my crowntail male is in his nice big Hex5 that he has all to himself, but they haven't died in the almost year that I've had them and they've never been sick either.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
The female wont be able to catch the fry. theyre over a month old, so theyre already developed fine motor skills for swimming away fast. my betta female cant even catch 2-day-old swordtailfry... but those have safety in numbers (20+) all in a 10 gal :)

DarkLies

Large Fish
Nov 9, 2009
Louisiana
Oh wow, bassbonediva! I"m soo sorry I didn't reply! I went to go check her out for her approximate size and completely forgot about your post! Anyway, she's about 1 1/2- 1 3/4 inches (including tail).

And, geez, Newman....not even 2 day old fry? I didn't realize they developed that fast!

Anyway: Update
~I put her in and changed the decor (from bright gravel with a plastic plant to natrual looking gravel and 1 silk and 1 very soft plastic plant)
~She chased the fry around for about 2 days until she realized that it was not a smorgasbord of live bloodworms
~She is now getting along perfectly with her tank mates (though I'm removing the fry in a week or so for more room =/)
~Her fins are more spread out and she looks much more beautiful and colorful than I originally thought =]

Thanks a bunch!

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
It's okay! LOL! She's still got some growing left to do, then. My oldest girls are about 2.5-3 inches long. As for them not being too fast, Newman's right, my girls are heck-a-slow. :p The smaller girls can move a little faster, but they aren't nearly as fast as my oto cats (whom they don't bother at all). What color is she, just out of curiousity? As you can see in my siggy, I have nine females, all of them bought based on their incredible coloring.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
In general, for all bettas, having something smaller to chase all the time is actually very good for them. not only do they get their excesize, but they show their colors an fins more vibrantly, as a sign that theyre happy :)

The betta can be used as a great way to weed out weaker fry, or those that have developmental defects. any fry that lag due to defects or sickness will be caught by the bettas. My demale managed to eat one fry so far because it was a wounded one (big red blotch on side) idk what wounded it. it was like that before i introduced her. maybe a hydra got it:confused:
w/e the reason, it saved the fry some suffering (not all. betta stoumach can be considered a torture chamber if you will) and this way the water wont spoil from dying fry.

DarkLies

Large Fish
Nov 9, 2009
Louisiana
She's a lovely dark dark dark blue and red color :)
I'll try to get a picture up if it works

And I might have to start feeding fry to my turtles... the little suckers are crowding up everything v.v

So, should i keep 2 males in the tank with Jasmine after I put the rest of the fry into the community tank? (5 male, 1 female..it was all I could rescue in time v.v)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Nice! she looks just like my Petco betta female (obviously diff color...)

As for the fry, they look to be too big to swallow whole... but theyre really crammed in there, so shes gonna get one eventually. you may need to move them since that many fish in so little space will cause ammo and nitrite problems...

Attachments

DarkLies

Large Fish
Nov 9, 2009
Louisiana
=0 Where do you get such BEAUTIFUL Bettas??
The only ones I can find are..not bright at all
They're either dark or a sickly purple -.-

Ahh, problem!
For the past 2 days Jasmine has been lethargic.
She's just hovering near the top corner
I thought she was dead so I gently poked her and she moved
But when she does move on her own, she looks like she's having a seizure!
Does anyone know what's the matter?

Also, I removed the crawfish because it pinched my mystery snail
(Long story short: a piece of flake food fell on the snail's shell so the crawfish grabbed and ate it and then it pinched the snail's skin and injured it (I think)..there was either an indention where the claw grabbed or a cut, I couldn't tell...I freaked and added a little bit of stress coat)

Last edited: