Feeding Vegetables

Feb 18, 2006
WA state
I don't think it's absolutely necessary. I've read of people feeding both raw and blanched vegetables, peeled and un-peeled, etc. There seem to be many different methods, each of which are acceptable.

There are arguments that blanching will cause a loss of some good nutrients, but I'm still on the fence about that topic. My otos seemed to prefer zucchini that was raw (unblanched).

The main thing is to be sure they're well-rinsed, to remove any possible pesticides.

Good luck!

Feb 18, 2006
WA state
It doesn't have to do with water parameters. However, most uneaten vegetables should be removed from the tank after about 24-36 hours to avoid them fouling the water (ie, rotting and producing ammonia). But this removal is for both blanched and raw.

:)

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
When I bought my plecos, the breeder told me to freeze the vegetables, then let them thaw and feed them to the fish. Freezing the vegetable changes the cell-structure, and makes it more easily digested by the fish.

Water makes up over 90 percent of the weight of most produce and is held within the fairly rigid cell walls that give support, structure and texture to the fruit or vegetable. Freezing fruits and vegetables actually consists of freezing the water contained in the plant cell. When the water freezes, it expands, and the ice crystals cause the cell walls to rupture. The texture of the thawed produce will be much softer than it was when raw
As far as blanching (rapidly boiling/steaming and cooling the fruit/vegetable) is concerned, from what I've read that is mainly to de-activate enzymes that would reduce a food's nutritional value when it is stored over time. If you are just immediately feeding it to fish - I'm not sure what blancing would do? The process of cooking also softens cell-walls, which is where the blanching before feeding could come into thinking?

I don't do much feeding of vegetables to my fish though, I just thought I would bring the freezing issue into the discussion

Thanks for the info.

If that's the case, then I can just buy small amounts, freeze them and take them out as needed. I have flake and two types of frozen food for them already...but I'd like to add veggies into their diet.

Just trying to keep them as happy as I can. :)

Anyone have any suggestions as to what veggies work best? I've been thinking lettuce and zuuchini.

Sandtiger said:
I usually feed lettuce, but I've heard that peas are liked, but I don't know how you'd feed them.
I'm heading up to my mom's on the July 1st weekend. I don't know if the peas will be ready by then, but I hope so. Podded peas would be cool...but wouldn't they just sorta float on the surface?

I figured you'd just drop 'em in...but yeah, thinking about it now...they'd float. Probably have to slice 'em up in bite sized pieces.

Feb 18, 2006
WA state
Sandtiger said:
I usually feed lettuce, but I've heard that peas are liked, but I don't know how you'd feed them.
If feeding lettuces, just stick to greens - stay away from iceberg lettuce. Kale and broccoli are supposedly good too. The zucchini and cucumber already mentioned are both good, but it's better to remove the seeds since they won't be digested and will just stay in the tank (contributing to the level of debris).

With peas - just de-shell them (taking off that thin outer skin that keeps the two halves of the peas together). Then you can either cut them up into very small pieces, or squish them at the water's surface. I do the latter, and my fish go after the pea parts like crazy. Peas are supposed to help ease constipation issues...I guess betta owners use it for this purpose quite often.

:)