Does it matter when I turn on tank lights?

missnikki

Medium Fish
Feb 13, 2011
My boyfriend moved in recently bringing with him a 60 gallon freshwater tank and beautiful fishies. This morning when I woke up I turned the lights on so I could view the fish as I get ready for work. When he saw this he said we can't turn the lights on except for in the evening time because it will mess with the fish sleeping schedule. Any truth to this!? Can someone explain this to me?? Thanks!

Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
Fish don't really sleep, some have been known to rest a little at the bottom of the tank from time to time but no real sleep. I believe it is best to have the lights on during sunlight hours to replicate their natural lighting however i don't believe the fishes really care. if it's darker the more shy species will come out and when the lights come on some will hide away.

Hope i've helped.

Dan

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
you need to do 12 and 12 to replicate nature as best you can.

I have my turn on at 10am, and turn out at 10pm. I use a cheapie Christmas tree timer to turn them on and off at the right times.

Turning it on for an hour while you dress in the morning isn't really a big deal, I know someone who has hers turn on at 7am when she gets up turn out at 8am when she leaves then she does the 12 hour thing from 11-11 her timer has 2 settings (the multi timer is like 6.00 the single timer is like 3-4)

As long as they aren't constantly on, or constantly off it's fine. Honestly if it's daylight in the room where the tank is it is of no difference provided that when the sun goes down you aren't keeping them up by keeping the lights on.

If they are sick keeping it dark will help them stay calm and relaxed.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
I know people that get a little nuts with their lighting schedules. The most inventive I've heard of is low lights for an hour, then high lights for a couple hours, then low lights again, then high lights when they get home, followed by a dusk phase of low lights and then off. Total lit time was around 11 hours.

Lighting is nice for fish, but is more critical for your plants. Fish and plants are both generally fine with splitting the time up to a morning and evening session so you can view them on your own time.

Edit: Timers, absolutely timers. If not, you WILL forget. It makes it so much easier.

Feb 15, 2011
Texas
My lighting schedule is to have the light on for approximately 9-9.5 hours a day while I'm at work, but one of these days I'm going to remember to stop by Walmart (I haven't been there since before Xmas 'cause I'm trying to economize) and pick up the timer. I'm almost to the point, I'll buy the expensive fish-store timer if only to get it done and not have to worry about asking someone to turn the light on and off on weekends.

symon_say

Medium Fish
Dec 6, 2010
Dominican Republic
I don't think they care about this, my schedule is to turn my moonlight 1/2 hour before fluorescent, the fluorescent for 8 hours, and moonlight again for 2 hours.

This cycle is from 12:00 pm to 10:30 pm. What i notice is that with this transition fish don't go crazy when lights go on or off like before the moonlight.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
home depot and walmart both sell timers, don't get sucked into the pet store version, you pay three times as much for something made by a fish company :)
+1 Internets

you can get a digital timer power strip from Lowes for like 20-30 bucks. The same or similar at a fish store would run you around 50 or more.

Okay, I looked it up: 20 bucks at lowes
http://www.lowes.com/pd_331645-207-TE08WHBL_0__?productId=3242168&Ntt=timer&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNs%3Dp_product_price%7C0%26Ntt%3Dtimer%26page%3D2

And at Petsmart: 30 bucks for digital, 40 bucks for two zone analog
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752178

Last edited:

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
I get all my timers at walmart or home depot/lowes. I go through a ton, and have found that the $10-$15 range for digital timers works well. I go through only one in about the same time I go through 3 or 4 of the cheaper ones. I'm going to have to go on a shopping spree for more timers, screen lids, air pumps, and high wattage clamp lamps... should be a fun trip...

Good luck with your new fish! (and the bf) ;)

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
I programed my lights to turn on at 5:30am and turn off at 9:00pm. So that's roughly 16 hours of light. I mainly do it for my plants, plus I like to see my Neon Tetras glow. Mwuahahaha!!!*crazysmil

Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
I second that. I was thinking of a few.. they're good with algae apparently...

I just found some timers lying around the house haha. i'm now gunna put some blue moonlight lights in there... hehe or i could leave it..
not sure