Does cory eat algae?

MarkRW89

Large Fish
Aug 8, 2003
West Midlands, UK
Visit site
No, corys don't eat algae at all and you cant really expect to buy any sort of cleaner fish-they all need food and they all produce waste.
However if you want a small algae eater try a clown plec. They only grow to about 10cm and all they like the same conditions as corydoras more or less.
My opinion of clown plecs is in no way biased:D

Jul 15, 2003
Kentucky
Visit site
Cories won't eat algae, and yes they will produce waste just like any other fish and require some feeding, but they will keep your gravels clean. Mine are busy little things, they hardly stop going all day. I have sinking pellets and algae wafers that I put in their tank twice a week. The rest of the time they clean up after my mollies. I give cories 2 thumbs up.

Originally posted by Davy
Hey Mark, what color algae do clown plecos eat? My cories don't touch the brown algae in my tank.
Corydoras do NOT eat algae, the smaller species will graze the microscopic life off of it but they do not eat algae.
They should be looked after the same as the rest of your fish, they need a good varied diet and not just scraps.

Davy

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
Oops, posted that wrong. I was saying that cories do not eat algae at all. That's why I wanted to know what color clown pl*cos eat because my tank does not have an algae eater.