Do goldfish really need gravel

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
James From Cali said:
So I can take the gravel out of my tank because lately its been a pain to clean.
Just wait until you go barebottom in the tank, then you'll see all the poop and waste! You will probably want to clean it more often when you see it. It's just one of the reasons you should keep goldfish in larger tanks. :)

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
If you do remove the substrate, make sure the filter has sufficient biomedia for the bacteria which would normally live in the gravel. I like to use Matrix in my goldfish's filters to provide plenty of surface area for beneficial bacteria to colonize. I don't have barebottom tanks (thinking of tiling a tank tho) but use only the barest of coverings of gravel in any tank with goldies (at times you can see glass peeking through) to facilitate cleaning.

Jul 22, 2006
I dont see a much difference in improved quality of the water when the gravels are removed in a Goldfish tank. I think that its best to have gravels for many reasons, including more surface area (bottom) for those nice bacterias to live on.

Thunder

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
With barebottoms you see every little poo, so you're far more likely to clean the tank more regularly. Also, most people who use gravel seem to follow the lb/gal rule which doesn't apply to most tanks or situations. In the case of goldfish tanks, an amazing amount of mulm can build up within the gravel if one is inattentive for the briefest period of time.

I prefer a skim of turtle pebbles on the bottom of my goldfish tanks just for asthetic reasons and to entertain the fish who like to mouth the pebbles. I provide for extra biofilter surface within my filters.

Jul 22, 2006
People would want to use gravels, because its the substrate that will hold down plants/decorations. I have some plants that sinks to the bottom, but I do not like to see bumps of white plasters (or whatever it is).

Thunder

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Well then, use gravel.... :rolleyes: Many people don't mind the look and actually like it. I've seen some amazing decorated barebottom tanks. In my own goldfish tanks, the plants (real) are attached to driftwood or rocks so I don't need a substrate to hold them down.