Do apple snails' shells change color?

Jodi

New Fish
Sep 16, 2007
Houston, British Columbia
Hi! I have an apple snail named Melvin, and his shell used to range from dark brown to lighter brown stripes. Lately, I've noticed that he is beginning to turn to a darker green color. I have kind of an ongoing algae issue in my freshwater tank, and it seems he's turning the same color as the algae. I've been researching online, and ( I hope this is correct) I've learned that the algae is more of an eyesore than anything harmful. But being as that is mostly what Melvin eats, would that affect a shell color change? I actually thought at first that he had algae growing on his shell, but I tried to clean him off, and there was nothing on there for me to wipe off.
Any ideas you could give me would be great!
Thanks!!
Jodi

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I suppose its not really a question of if they do or not...since you said you tried to wipe it off and its not coming off, probably means it changed color :)

I know that mine usually started out a brighter color and slowly got lighter as they aged and their shell got bigger...dont know that I've ever seen one go that drastic of a change. I was going to suggest that the algae is growing on his shell...but you said it first.

Jodi

New Fish
Sep 16, 2007
Thanks!

Thanks, that's really all I can come up with. I read online that some types of algae do grow on their shells sometimes. And since he's still really active, and otherwise looks healthy (or at least not abnormal, as far as I know), I'll just leave him be, I guess.
*thumbsups
Jodi

SAE

Small Fish
Apr 14, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
It could be an algae that's hard to remove, or depending on the ph of your tank, the top surface of his shell could be deteriorating.
It worries me though that he eats mostly algae - large snails really need to be fed their own diet - blanched kale, bokchoy etc. They need high calcium veggies to support their shell growth and they can starve if not fed.
There is tons of info at applesnail.net

Jodi

New Fish
Sep 16, 2007
Algae Update!

Just an update:
It must have been algae on Melvin's shell, because ever since I got a couple of Chinese algae eaters (named Scrub & Bubbles) they've cleaned his shell right off. It almost has no green on it at all anymore. And he's not eating only algae, I've started feeding the tank canned peas, as well as the fish food, and also throw in an algae wafer every couple of days. I will check out applesnail.net, because I do want him to be healthy. But what I want to know is how do I make sure that HE gets the food, and not any of the other little creatures in there? As soon as anything's dropped in, everyone swoops in to get it. (they all think they're starving, apparently! But don't they always think that? ;) )
Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Watch out for those Chinese "algae" eaters, those guys don't eat algae for long and will eventually get nasty and start picking on your other fish. Do some reading up on them.

SAE

Small Fish
Apr 14, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Unfortunately your tank is extremely overstocked for the size. I would recommend upgrading or rehoming some of your fish. Fancy goldies need about 10 gallons/fish, while commons or shubunkins will need close to 20.

On the snail, as you have it in with a number of other herbivores, I would cut up the food in small pieces and spread it around the tank, that way everyone gets some.