Cycling halted?

timisu87

Large Fish
Oct 15, 2004
Visit site
My ammonia level has been at 6.0-7.0 for a week and my nitrates are at 5ppm. What can I do to jumpstart my cycle again? Or is this normal?

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
Your nitrATES are at 5ppm or your nitITES? If you have nitrates that means 1 of two things, either there's nitrates in your tap water (you should test it) or your nitrites are being converted by bacteria.

Have you introduced untreated tap water or any meds or other chemicals into the tank? That can certainly whipe out your good bacteria causing the cycle to repeat itself. How long has your ammonia been at 6-7ppm? If it's only been a day or two you're probably witnessing the ammonia spike, if there's fish in there do a 20% water change to make things a bit safer for them and just wait it out, within a few more days it should plummet down to zero and your nitrites should start to rise.

Without knowing your timeframe (what levels the ammonia has been at the past few weeks) along with nitrite and nitrate levels it's impossible to say if your cycle is in a funk or going strong. A water change may be needed to kickstart if if it's stuck.

timisu87

Large Fish
Oct 15, 2004
Visit site
The cycle has begun about 2 weeks ago. I added the neccesary ammonia of 5ppm a day. And a week ago from today I added a bubble wand just to help the bacteria advance. And this whole week it has not moved at all the ammonia level spiked and slowly came down. Last night when i test it it seemed to be at 4ppm. But my nitrites were at the 5ppm level.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It sounds like your nitrites are peaking. This stage is usually the longest. Be patient. :) Once the nitrites start to drop, it's usually only a couple of days until they hit zero (and the cycle is done).

If you have access to another cycled tank, a filter squeezing at this point can help speed it up a little.

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
sounds like you're cooking - just keep getting that ammonia level up to 5ppm every day and wait - it can take 6 to 8 weeks to take it all the way through

even when your "cycling" 5ppm a day, you'll need to keep it at that point till you get your fish in

the ammonia bit typically takes two weeks - then the nitrite bit takes the other 4 weeks - so start getting used to the wait - it's worth it....

don't worry about the nitrate at this point - it's probably at that level in your tap water - just hang on in there

trouthead

Superstar Fish
May 4, 2004
United Kingdom
Visit site
I can understand your nitrite levels rising, but I cannot understand your ammonia levels rising without adding anything to your tank. I aslo cannot understand your nitrate levels falling without removing water from your tank.

sorry: that isn't much help.

Nov 13, 2004
Visit site
since some people are questioning your testing supplies id get a water sample and take it to a few petstores...and see if they get the same or differnt results, i remember my test strips were off when they got aged a bit...and it threw me off as well. so doing this really helped me