College and Fish

Dec 1, 2013
So I've had a 90g aquarium for as long as I can remember. I've already decided that I will be breaking it down before college in the fall, however I'm not sure what to do with my fish. There are some fish in my tank that are around 15 years old! As well, some of my fish have birth defects or marks from aggression before I bought them. I'm a mercy buyer, I like to get the ones with the most problems. My concern is that I have fish that people won't be willing to take. I've tried to contact local fish groups in my area, however I've found that there aren't any to be found as I live in a small town. I'm timid to ask local pet stores as I do not want to burden them with fish that they will probably be unable to sell due to size and age. So with these factors, what should I do with my fish?

2x Parrot Cichlids (one 15 yrs, other 10 yrs)
2x Jack Dempsey (14 yrs, 1 yr)
2x Fire Mouth Cichlid (1 yr)

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
if you were to donate them to you LFS, i think most would take it. that would be your best bet.

have you tried classified ads?

wow..15 years old on some of those fishes. great fish keeping skills you have!

Dec 1, 2013
It really is! I was hoping that my sister would get into the fish keeping hobby, along with our - my - multiple small pets, but she just hasn't. My parents want nothing to do with it either. I have two LFS in the area but one is run by the siblings of the true owner which has sadly passed and do not have the same touch with aquariums he had. There's another LFS but it is a new opened buisness and his tanks are already taken up by other fish from other people. I'm worried that people in my area won't know how to properly take care of my poor fish as well.

I will definitely take a look at the classified ads! It can't hurt to try it, right? :)

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Look online for any local aquarium groups. I know I was surprised to find several in my area, one of which is on facebook. I've given stuff away in a matter of hours using the FB local aquarium group.