Bump on Convicts Head

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
I was feeding my cichlids and noticed that my male convict has a bump on his head. Is this normal? He is about 3.5 inches! if it is normal what does it mean?

Last edited:

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
dbacksrat said:
It's exactly what C-man said. I have one at 2.5" already growing one that will probably be more impressive than my full grown Con's hump.
TRAITOR! *crazysmil

lol

Lots of male cichlids will get this hum, even angels and discus will show small examples of this "male" hump. Not always but it does happen.

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
yeah i know horrible hybrid fish, its just the biggest nuchal hump i could find with a quick google search. it doesnt even compare to others i've seen on some fronts though.

To each their own. I've no problem with flowerhorns. I have problems with people that sell them as anything other than what they are.

Fronts have pretty decent nuchal humps. Though the most incredibly huge humps have come from Vieja synspilum and FH with synspilum blood in them.
There are some crazy natural nuchal humps out there, besides the usual hump on something like a midas and trimacs - fish like peacock bass, odo's, GT's, and redhump eartheaters.

Aquaria Central - Nuchal Hump Champion
http://www.ciklid.se/ciklidbilder/mc_69.jpg

Keep in mind that such large nuchals in the wild for many fish (with few exceptions like buffaloheads or frontosa) are very very rare since fish usually don't live long enough in the wild to develop them, unlike in the safety of the aquarium where they can grow old and fat and quite vain ;) .