Algea

Dec 1, 2013
My cichlid tank is suffering from an unattractive green algae. I can't scrub it off the glass by hand, or by brush. It comes off the decor from scrubbing though. The algae is a deep green, and starts off as just specs on the glass, then grows out vertically and very long. How can I rid my tank of this? I will hopefully get pictures soon. I've also used two different types of algae controllers, and neither have been effective in removing the algae. My tank is planted.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
What is the lighting schedule like?

I have this fun clumpy algae in my 20g. Have heard that excel will help control it but haven't tried it at this point. Also have heard that splitting the photo period up into 2 separate 4hr periods, with a 2-3hr lights out time in the middle, will be fine for plants but deter algae.

Feb 27, 2009
Plants are the best algae controllers. If they are growing well, they can outcompete algae.

Due to its difficulty in removing it from the glass, I suspect it is green spot algae. If that is what you have, too much light is likely the cause. Are you adding CO2? If not, you need to lower the overall number of hours of light to match the lower CO2 level. Also, dosing with PO4 works well. Takes a few weeks. If you see it on a plant leaf, remove the leaf. Also increasing water circulation rate is helpful. Good luck!

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
used to have that algae. i'd do water changes. feed less. remove as much as i could. the glass...the regular magnet cleaners wouldn't work well so i went with scraping it off using an old credit card or hotel card key. i also tried adding like one of those american flag fishes to the tank to help eat the algae.

but plants are best. they'll outcompete the algae for nutrients in the tank.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Yep, live plants will help, but you don't need them to keep algae from taking over. Like said, too much lighting intensity, lights on too long, over-feeding and a poor water change schedule/amount will cause algae to bloom and take over.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
ditto on that lighting intensity causing algae. i found that with increase lighting intensity i had to supplement with Co2 to keep things in balance. has that been your experience too freshyfresh?

Feb 27, 2009
Yep, live plants will help, but you don't need them to keep algae from taking over. Like said, too much lighting intensity, lights on too long, over-feeding and a poor water change schedule/amount will cause algae to bloom and take over.
Balance is the key in all of life it seems. I only mentioned the plants as the OP said it was a planted tank.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
is it what's called umm. green dust algae? i think those grow from the glass and kinda not anywhere else. think it was caused by some nutrient deficiency. also remember reading that scraping it off just causes it to grow elsewhere. haha. think the best method was to let it grow out till it wasn't just a speck and you can remove it 100% or as much as possible out.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Would your fish eat snails? I find nerite snails to do a wonderful job on glass algae. Nerites are nice because their babies require a SW stage, so they can't overpopulate like most snails tend to.

Excel might also help you out - it can be an effective algaecide.