2 male Dwarf Gourami's in a 15 gallon

Fishyman

Small Fish
Jun 14, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
Right now I am almost done with my small community tank. Right now I have 2 pairs of Guppies a pair of PLaty's and a cherry barb. I wanted to get two Dwarf gouramis and put them in there. I am not concerned and the other fish just concerned about the two Gouramis fighting... Should I not do this and only get one instead..

May 19, 2003
Visit site
I've kept pairs of Neon Dwarf Gourami until they fought.

Now, I'm successfully keeping 2 Honey Dwarf in a 10g. Yes, they are smaller, but still beautiful. Seem more peaceful that the Neon, powder, or banded dwarfs.

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
It really depends on the fish and how your tank is set up. I have three in a 10g with no problems (though I am moving one out into the 55g just to rearrange). You could try it and keep an eye on it. Make sure that you can take one, or both, back in case you find that it isn't working out.

You can up your chances of it working by adding many, many plants and caves and places to hide so that each gourami can have his own spot. Gouramis are territorial, not truly aggressive.

But, you may just want to get one pearl gourami instead. It is larger and still peaceful.

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
I think you can do two dwarfs in there. Dwarfs are rather peaceful and I dont usually hear of people having problems with them not getting along. Like leopardess said, if you add lots of plants (fake or alive) and caves then Im sure the dwarf gouramis would be fine =)

EDIT: If you get two and it doesnt work out, you can always take one back.

Last edited:

Jubilee

Medium Fish
Oct 29, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
I've tried 2 male dwarfs in a 20H and it did not work out. They fought constantly. I now have 3 dwarfs and they get along better but still scrap a lot and I"m tired of it. I would only get 1 male dwarf if I had to do it over again.

And a male pearl gourami will get too big for a 15 gal.. You could also do honey's or sparkling gouramis.:D