Zero Water Change Test (Froggy)

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
ok but for the novice how much would all this cost, the additives, cartridges, whatever else you need oh plus shipping since I havent seen anything available for these systems locally? I really dont see how anyone can want to spend that much money to save the time of doing water changes.

PCFishGuy

Medium Fish
Dec 25, 2008
Port Charlotte Fla
Well, I do think that the biggest difference between Tal and my test has been that his tank was already established so there was no cycle to get through. Based on my experience with the system I couldn't recommend using it exactly as directed to start a tank up...however it does seem to be a good filter system. If I did it again I would probably do a fishless cycle on it...but still use the additives and see if there weren't any nitrates at the end. If there were then I would do a big water change and then add my fish and continue.

On the other hand, based on Tal's experience I could recommend the system to someone who had an established tank who wanted the extra time saved from water changes and had the money to spend on the system and products.

I still haven't gotten clarification on the ordering of the products and am still frustrated on that end, but the HiQ rep did send me out some more refills of the additives so I can add some new fish finally. I need to order some cartridges though.

How far through the process did the included chems get you? Where / are there other chems needed to aid in the start up?

Also a question for the HI-Q guy, how would this system handle a corner tank, based on the plastic plates i can see some potential issues of fitment and tower placement.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
There's not really an "end" result :) Its kinda perpetual.

I have a ton of molly babies in my tank, but starting to have an algae issue because I have been accidentally leaving the lights on for days at a time. Thinkin I need to move a pleco in there asap.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
How far through the process did the included chems get you? Where / are there other chems needed to aid in the start up?

Also a question for the HI-Q guy, how would this system handle a corner tank, based on the plastic plates i can see some potential issues of fitment and tower placement.
I'm sorry...never saw your post. The additives and filter pads were enough to get my 46 gallon tank through a month, plus some on the additives...so the additives would last longer than that for a smaller tank. I still haven't changed any of my filter pads (except the ones that were included to change after 2 weeks) although the system mentions changing them on a specific time frame.

And HiQ never answered your question either...but I would think in a corner tank you'd only be able to use one tower and then build the plates as big as would fit. If it was a pretty small tank then you may not be able to use the system.

Oct 1, 2008
Hello everyone,
I'm terribly sorry for going AWOL for a little bit. Due to the economy we've been having to do a lot more with a lot less help.

But the good news is we've been working hard on developing new products. Two of which will be announced within the next couple of months.

As for the Q&As.
- FroggyFox is right, in this case doing a fish less cycle would be the best choice.

-PCFishGuy We've given great thought to your question about our system working in a corner tank. We have determined it would be most convenient for customers if we custom fit the filter to specific tanks.
aquarium_filters_fit_to_tank - Hi-Q USA

Please E-mail me at Luke@hiq-usa.com with further questions to make sure I get them. I will post the answers in Hi-Q section of this forum.

-luke

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I'm considering this thread finished...the tank is not really active right now. It was pretty much finished when we came to the conclusion that this tank would be best cycled with a fishless cycle.