Zero Water Change Test (Froggy)

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
You'll find I'm the biggest smart-ass out there, lol sorry. :D
wth..now i have competition...lol..oh wait someone might tell the manager I am derailing a thread...shhh..dont tell..umm..when you say it is sounds like a band..would that be a elemantary school or high school...seriously though is it really that bad, my tanks are currently im my bedroom..so this would be a bad option in that case?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
NOT derailing a thread or anything, but I had three tanks in my old bedroom (moved and have wood floors now) and they were fine...but THEY ALL HAD CANISTERS lol The HOB's were in the living room and my office. I despise the mechanical sounds, but dont mind the water sounds. HOB's are great when they're new but after a few years they all seem to start getting annoying...some faster than others!

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Small side note, If you change out the impeller shaft that goes away normally. If it's still happening change the impeller too. ;) That does bring up a valid point though... what are parts availability for these systems?

I personally like the "smack" method lol. "if at first you don't succeed get a hammer... If you still don't succeed get a bigger hammer". Next to "Close enough!" that's the one of the funniest things to come out of a machinist's mouth... I always get funny looks anyway lol ;).

Chris

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Fair enough :). Thumping is the first thing I always try too. Without knowing the exact way the impeller is fixed in the powerhead I couldn't say for sure but sometimes the bushings and what-not get jarred in shipping. Taking it appart and re-fitting it all might eleminate the majority of the noise. Really not totally uncommon on lots of makes and models.

That's the other thing too. One day you will need to take them appart anyway. As with all pumps they eventually get a build up of detritus in the impeller well that at best robs power and worst seizes the impeller. I usually do mine at least once every six months, cheaper quality ones significantly more often. From what I can tell cheaper ones have closer tolerance on the ID of the well to the impeller magnet to try and make up for a weak (low quality) magnet. The downside is that leaves less space for the previously mentioned build up. Anyway... I digress ;).

Chris

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Ok I couldnt sleep so I came back and wow I'm a dumb@ss I must have totally forgotten your stocking plans because after rereading this thread I remembered it, heck I posted right after you added the fish..lol..maybe because I have stayed up to late talking to someone...lol..j/k.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I just did my water tests and am not incredibly happy. No trace of nitrites or nitrates...and my ammonia has continued to rise. I say its between 2 and 4ppm...but if I had to pick one I'd say its about 4ppm. (You know those greens are difficult to tell apart).

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Finally! There's a trace of nitrites. Unfortunately just a trace, can't even call it .25ppm yet, but it was definitely not just clear blue. Ammonia is not up as high as it goes either, its more like 4ppm. So although still high, I think we're seeing a light.

Unfortunately I did lose one of the Mollies today. I don't think however that it was from the ammonia...it could have contributed to it...but he was being kind of sluggish since I got him, and the other six are all happy and active, healthy looking as well as that there are still plenty of ghost shrimp.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Cool Froggy girl! I have yet to see Nitrates. My Ammonia and Nitrites saw minor spikes but both fell back to zero.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
...maybe I just got really tough ghost shrimp for once... I had to pull another Molly out this morning b4 work :(

I added fish on the 2nd, had between 2-4ppm ammonia on the 5th, between 4-8ppm on the 10th with a trace of nitrites.

at this point I'm pretty sure its progressing faster than a usual fish-in cycle...but only because I havent done any water changes. It would be more akin to a fishless cycle...just that there are fish.

Last edited:

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
...maybe I just got really tough ghost shrimp for once... I had to pull another Molly out this morning b4 work :(
Sorry to hear that froggy, what was the response on adding these fish to begin with, I know you were having issues trying to figure the cycle out to begin with but did you ever recieve feedback via email or do I need to go back and reread the thread AGAIN..lol

If the instructions state wait 2 days or even 2 weeks with out a way to start the cycle any beginner would be in your shoes right now.. thats one strike in my book.

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
They never responded and I added the fish per the instructions that came with the system since I couldn't find the place that said to wait after I mentioned it. Pretty sure that the ammonia wouldn't have gone up without adding them.

s_anthony

Large Fish
Aug 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I almost, almost bought one of these systems for one of the two tanks I'm setting up.. but I think I'm going to wait to find out what you guinea pigs - err.. nice testing people come up with before I invest that much money in a system like this. Thank you though for taking the leap and doing this for all of MFT!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
heh no worries :) thanks to HiQ for giving us the chance to test the system.

Update from last night. I lost another molly, the nitrites are up to 2ppm, I didn't check ammonia and I screwed up the nitrate test lol I'll retest tonight with all of them.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
For sure, I would say at this point even if their additives have sped up the cycle or kept levels lower than they may have normally gone (which btw are maybes and even if's because I'm not really convinced of either) they still didn't succeed in keeping my fish out of harms way during tank setup.

If someone was going to get this system I'd still say to fishless cycle it. I'll be interested to see the huge amount of nitrates when the cycle is finally finished...see if the tank somehow takes care of them or if it'll end with me doing a water change.

Oct 1, 2008
FroggyFox. The instructions say to let the system run for two days and then add fish slowly over a period of three weeks. On our website in the maintenance section is says 2 weeks.

Are you running low on additives? I can send you some more. Pleas feel free to e-mail me with any time sensitive questions.

Thanks

Luke