Zero Water Change Test (Froggy)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Hey all, This is the "official" thread for my Zero Water Change System test. The system is by HiQ, one of the MFT Sponsors here.

I am setting it up in my 46 gallon bowfront. Currently it is empty and has been for the past couple of months since I moved. Although my 46 has has fish in it before and I'm not using all new things, the gravel and everything has been completely dried out and I won't be seeding with anything from my other tanks as I would if I were establishing a new tank.

I haven't decided which fish to put in it yet...im open to suggestions :) Will probably go by the local stores after a few days and see what strikes my fancy.

I spent awhile last night putting the plates together and getting the towers situated in the tank. I need to pick up some fresh test kits, a python extension and some more gravel...then I'll be ready to start.

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Ok ok ok! Here ya go :D

Everything came in a neat little box...I didn't think to take a picture of all of it before I put it together, but here are the extra pieces...

This is a full shot of the tank...

This is a straight on shot of just the tank...yes the glass is really that dirty and the top (as you will see in a minute) is sitting next to it on the recliner...

They say pictures are worth a thousand words...well...I like to call this one "DEAR GOD WHY ARE PYTHONS NOT A COUPLE FEET LONGER?!" Seriously thats how close it gets. pfft.

And...last but not least in case you wanted to see my tanks situated in the basement at my new house :) SW 29 on the left, 55 Cichlid (my JD) in the middle and 29 FW community on the right.

Oooo! That couch looks just like our old one! Can you take it apart? We used to build stuff with ours, like little caves and such but it got so full of cat fur that we gave it away...

So the towers can be submerged completely? Hmm, in the video on the MFT home page, the towers stretch above water level...I think.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Yep its actually in three sections. One of my old roommates left it when he moved so I decided to keep it for the basement :)

Hmm well lets put it this way, if they can't be submerged then I better switch to a 10 gallon tank :) I'm pretty sure they're actually supposed to be submerged because the tank minimum height is like 13 inches, there are powerheads seated in the towers that need to be submerged in order to work.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
LOL yeah, no. This girl is NOT equipped to do that. I'll buy a python extension or ask dad to help because I am so not mechanically inclined that I'm SURE that would end up in disaster if I tried! lol

Lone Wolff

Medium Fish
Feb 4, 2008
Lincoln, NE
It's nothing mechanically challenging. Just a matter of pulling the short piece off, and buying a longer piece, and putting the longer one on.

No tools needed, but if you're more comfortable asking your dad, go that route instead of buying a python extension. You'll save some coin for sure. He'll show you how easy it is. If the tubing size isn't stamped on it, just take it into the store with you to make sure you get the right size.

I don't have a python, but I bought 20 feet of tubing to extend my gravel vac to the floor drain in my laundry room. Makes it so much easier.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I just bought a house and my dad has outdone himself helping me with it, we'll see...project for this weekend I guess since I need to get this thing rolling :) I'll either get an extension or be brave and get a few feet and try... or maybe I'll just try shooting it in hehe

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
I just bought a house and my dad has outdone himself helping me with it, we'll see...project for this weekend I guess since I need to get this thing rolling :) I'll either get an extension or be brave and get a few feet and try... or maybe I'll just try shooting it in hehe
Go on and do it yourself! You're a crafty frog. ;) :D

I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback for this. I could definately use a zero water change routine!

Aug 4, 2008
LOL yeah, no. This girl is NOT equipped to do that. I'll buy a python extension or ask dad to help because I am so not mechanically inclined that I'm SURE that would end up in disaster if I tried! lol

Can't put an extention on, but can set up a HiQ filter system! That should be a good selling phrase!!! (reminds me of the geicko caveman commercials.. So simple even FroggyFox can do it! ) :p

Thanks for the pictures and the writeup to follow. I'll be following this thread!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
LOL thanks, now I'm going to think of that anytime one of those geico commercials comes on.

In all reality though the system wasn't THAT hard to put together, just like I'm sure the plain ol tube wouldn't be TOO hard to add on to my python...but still. Was a little daunting with all the little pieces...if I had watched that HiQ video first it would have helped a lot, but if you like playing with things like legos, its sort of like that...only less colorful :D

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I did go to the hardware store this weekend for some stuff, unfortunately totally spaced the tubing so I need to see if I can take care of that at lunch today. I know I know I'm a slacker :) Dad asked me what I'm going to put in "that big tank at the bottom of the stairs" yesterday...told him I wasn't sure yet. Who has ideas for me? lol I only have a few days after I fill it up before I need to start adding critters!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Last night I filled 'er up and it is now running with just gravel and water and the chemicals. Will take some baseline readings tonight after work.

The only issue I'm having so far is that the airlines are not getting air to the pumps so there are not bubbles coming out. The FAQ says that that is probably because the tank is "taller than reccomended" even though the only height I saw in anything was a "minimum" requirement of like 13 inches...never saw a max. I also didn't think the 46 was taller than my 55 and the instructions say up to a 55 gallon tank. SO it looks like the only solution to that is going to be picking up an air pump if I can't find one in the mess of my fish stuff, a splitter valve and some more tubing so I can get some bubbles going.

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Just a thought here, but if you are having problems getting air into the towers you should probably contact them for a recommended volume of air pump. From what I understand the system is going to be dependent on the air going to the media.

On the other hand, maybe you shouldn't ask... Let's face it, in a real world application how many people would contact the manufacturer?

Chris

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Since Hi-Q is one of our sponsors and obviously know about these two experiments, they should be stopping in to say hi from time to time. If he lets me know before I pick one up, then I'll follow his direction. Otherwise I'll probably just get a relatively large one because it'll have to go up quite a ways vertically as well as be split into two airstreams. All the instructions say is that air pumps are readily available in your local pet store...well duh thanks :) lol

I did check to make sure both of the air tubes are connected in there, as I found it was relatively easy to pull one out as I was setting it up.

So I think sometime today I will try to pick one up as well as some plants. I dont know though, plants have always been difficult in this tank because they really don't get a ton of light and I am not going to do any diy lighting.

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
All the instructions say is that air pumps are readily available in your local pet store...well duh thanks :) lol
LMAO!! Good stuff! I love it! *laughingc

I dont know though, plants have always been difficult in this tank because they really don't get a ton of light and I am not going to do any diy lighting.
Hmmm... That said, might not be the best idea to use plants then. He did say in the other thread they were not concerned with phosphate levels and plants would influence the performance of the filter/test results...

Chris