Yoyo loach

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
that should be fine,give the loach a nice cave to hide in as well.if you can get 2-3 thats even better.yoyo's like company,even if they just squabble and chase each other.
if gonna move this to the freshwater general section.not much of a lounge topic...

Mar 24, 2004
gainesville, fl
plaza.ufl.edu
having kept several types of botia loaches for years, i disagree. my objective when keeping fish isn't to have them "get by": it is to have them flourish as much as possible in the captive environment. no offense intended here, but i think that should be part of the goal when offering advice.

my experience:
my yoyos doubled from 1.5" to 3" in less than a year and have stopped growing now (or REALLY slowed) around 4". so they don't grow *that* slow. they are also very active fish. likewise, even though zebra danios are small, i would never recommend them for a 10g tank, because they zip around so much, so fast.

as for clown loaches, i believe their slow growth is part-myth: the first few inches come FAST, this is followed by a much longer period of slow growth. i have 3 clown loaches that have shot from 2" to 4" in about 6 months, much to my suprise after hearing about how slowly they grow. after talking to some people who have kept clown loaches for a long time, they seem to agree that clown loaches tend to burst early and then their growth slows down once they reach 4"-6".

in any event, i know i would feel pretty bad if my yoyos only had a 10g to play around in...they're the most active fish in my 55g, especially at feeding time. i grew them out in a 20g long, and i couldn't endorse putting them in anything smaller than that.

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
now i have heard of that before as well.i think it could be a hormone related issue concerning growth and development.i have read somewhere befor that many loaches will produce a hormon that inhibits the growth of the other fish around them.in a tank with lot's of water changes the hormone wouldn't be present and growth could go at normal rates.but this is all speculation,as i'm not much of a researcher myself.