Your Goldfish Experience?

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
NTS has got me doing all kinds of research on goldfish and care. I've never kept them before and I want them to live long happy lives.

Despite all the reading I'm still not getting the whole story like how many would be ideal for a 55g non planted tank. My son and I are interested in the fancies (all but the comets and bigger faster swimmers).

So can you tell me about your goldfish keeping experience? How do YOU take care of yours so that they thrive? What veggies do they like? Fruits? and any other experiences or advice would be helpful and appreciated.

Oh and when your tank completed its cycle...how many fish did you start off with? I think 2 to start but could a 55g handle 4 like my mother in law said?

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I would get 2 for the first month or 2 to make sure they survive in your newly cycled tank, see how it works out. Then when you see success add 2 more. All 4 at once may be too chaotic and create too many uncontrollable variables.

you could probably have up to 5 fancy tails in the long run

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
well 4 would be easy because you would be understocked, and you wouldn't have to be so weary of water perams and big water changes. More fish = more maintenance.
you mean that you think 4 is ok to start with?. I'm sure that they will be small at first (the goldfish) but I don't want to do any harm.

But here is another question for goldfish keepers.
Do you keep any other species with your goldfish? (I've read many conflicting views)

I most likely will not but...if its doable than its something to consider down the line.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
you mean that you think 4 is ok to start with?. I'm sure that they will be small at first (the goldfish) but I don't want to do any harm.

But here is another question for goldfish keepers.
Do you keep any other species with your goldfish? (I've read many conflicting views)

I most likely will not but...if its doable than its something to consider down the line.
almost always a no, people have successfully done it in the past, but it's not optimal and in most cases is rather foolish.
Goldfish are coldwater and rather slow. Fancy tails shouldn't even be kept with the faster types (comets, koi, etc)
Goldfish are also very messy. the ammonia waste they put out can be very harmful to other tank mates if the tanks not big enough.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
You can add a school of white cloud mountain minnows. They prefer temps of 64-72 degrees. They're pretty small, and a school of 8 or so makes a nice counterpoint for the slower-moving fancy goldies.

Of course, with any goldie tank you'll be keeping an eye on the water parameters and staying on top of water changes. Yes, goldies do produce a lot of ammonia, but if your tank isn't overstocked it won't be a problem. That's the whole reason for the '20gal for the first one, 10 for each additional one' rule of thumb. And, as jo3 said, you can fudge a bit with fancy varieties and maybe put 5 in a 55. However, if you want a school of wcm minnows, you'd want to stick with 4 goldies.

Although goldies tend to munch plants, you can sometimes get away with stiff, prickly plants such as hornwort. A few plants will help with your water quality, thus helping to keep algae at bay. Plus, the green looks nice with the colors of the fish, especially on a black background. I taped a black trash bag to the back of my goldie tank. It's not easy to get all the wrinkles out, so you might want to do it differently, but that's what I had to work with at the time. It really showed off my fish and plants, though.

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
You can add a school of white cloud mountain minnows. They prefer temps of 64-72 degrees. They're pretty small, and a school of 8 or so makes a nice counterpoint for the slower-moving fancy goldies.

Of course, with any goldie tank you'll be keeping an eye on the water parameters and staying on top of water changes. Yes, goldies do produce a lot of ammonia, but if your tank isn't overstocked it won't be a problem. That's the whole reason for the '20gal for the first one, 10 for each additional one' rule of thumb. And, as jo3 said, you can fudge a bit with fancy varieties and maybe put 5 in a 55. However, if you want a school of wcm minnows, you'd want to stick with 4 goldies.

Although goldies tend to munch plants, you can sometimes get away with stiff, prickly plants such as hornwort. A few plants will help with your water quality, thus helping to keep algae at bay. Plus, the green looks nice with the colors of the fish, especially on a black background. I taped a black trash bag to the back of my goldie tank. It's not easy to get all the wrinkles out, so you might want to do it differently, but that's what I had to work with at the time. It really showed off my fish and plants, though.

Thanks homebunny. Its funny that you bring up the trash bag idea. I was thinking of using aluminum foil for a silver look ...because I like the look of the mirror backsplash that I used to have (purchased from that fishplace).

I'll do the "goldfish ony" because that is why I'm even setting up the tank to begin with. I wouldn't want to ruin the experience. I'll keep in mind your advice on the plants when I go to the lps. Thanks again : )

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
Re:inheriting a turtle

I see that you have a new addition coming! I rescued a turtle a year ago that a person was letting loose in our pond at work. ( Why do people think that's ok??) He has been quite an adventure. I hope for you that he is an aquatic turtle. You will love him/her. Just a warning, you will need a bigger tank. Ours has graduated to a 55 and I wish it were even bigger. I love watching him swim around and he needs room to move. Also, with him and our tank of fantail goldfish(that are truly in a tank a bit too small for them), I am a water-changing fool. The turtle will mess up a 30g in no time flat, and it will get stinky, or so I'm told. Doesn't happen to me because I have a Python and do water changes/gravel vac every weekend. Anyone with a turtle tank and goldfish needs one. I suggest you make it a priority and you will have happy, frisky water friends who will love you for it:) Enjoy!

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
cycle update

I can't wait for this tank to be cycled!! I will but it is hard.

Still waiting on nitrites.
I didn't use bottled ammonia which would've made this process go more quickly.
I ended up using fish food and it took approx. 2 weeks for ammonia to show up.

Only posting the update as I promised to regarding cycling with fish food. It can be done...but it takes longer. I wouldn't recommend this method to anyone in the future because it has its downfalls.

Ammy

Small Fish
Apr 3, 2009
Good to hear you're getting into goldfish, Blue. :) I have a medium sized, "fat and happy" shubunkin goldfish named Ammy who started out as a no name in a group of shubunkins I got from a chain store. After four or five months, he is the only one left, and he is happy as a clam. I have him in a long rather than tall tank, and I think that serves him much better. Nearly every day I drop a slice of blanched yellow squash or zucchini in the tank for him and he devours it. At first I was put off because he wouldn't eat it, but after he figured it out, he loved it. I have read that koi and goldfish in ponds will also eat oranges and lemons, but I do not feed him those because they're acidic and I don't really know if that will funk with the params. They will also eat kale and spinach, but I had trouble getting Ammy to eat spinach after he was used to squash.

While they're primarily vegetarians, they will definitely munch on meaty food, too. I feed my tropicals frozen krill to supplement their flake food, and I usually give Ammy one too, which he will devour.

I've always read that fancies are far less hardy than comets, commons, and shubunkins, so if you really want a fish who is likely to live long, I wouldn't recommend them. True, a lot of times they DO live quite long, but I feel like the other three have a better, more solid constitution. I wouldn't bother getting any bottom feeders in your tank if you have comets, commons, or shubunkins, just because these guys will be better bottom feeders than anything I've ever had (plecos or loaches, for example). I have no idea how much fancy goldfish will do this, but the other three are great at it and will swiftly pick up extra food. I could go even further to say that, while it is more work initially, you could put sand in as a substrate instead of gravel. I had trouble getting my sand completely clean at first, and my tank was cloudy for a week, but once it clears, it looks great, and nothing can sink down inside it. This is great because goldfish poop a lot, so instead of getting trapped under the gravel, it sits on the top of the sand, where it can be netted easily, or if it gets stirred up, it will more easily get eaten by the filter. The same goes for extra food, it will almost certainly get eaten instead of sinking down in the gravel where it can rot and goof with your nitrates. I definitely recommend sand for goldfish, if only because they are good at scavenging and it will be a much cleaner substrate. Goldfish will truly eat almost anything, just keep in mind that they need more carbohydrates than tropical fish, so even if you feed them a good quality food (I recommend Aqueon - slightly more expensive, but better ingredients), it is always good to give them plenty of cooked veggies. Generally, the cooking just helps them sink, but Ammy won't eat squash that is not cooked even if it DOES sink. I wouldn't count on them to pick off any algae from walls or decorations though, just because I've never seen mine or my boyfriend's do it.

I think you would enjoy goldfish that aren't fancies more. I know I've mentioned it already, but fancies are slower and more pokey, while the other three are far more active and fun to watch. My boyfriend's first batch of goldfish (which he still has) were purchased from a tank of feeder goldfish at PetSmart. You would be surprised how many pretty little guys can be found in those tanks, and they're so cheap that if a few die, you won't be losing much money.

For your tank, I would recommend plenty of plants that your goldies won't eat. Anubias Lanceolata was highly recommended to us as a plant that goldfish won't pick at, and from experience, they don't even nip it. Leafier plants that are fern like will most certainly get chomped on, but not necessarily destroyed. I think plants are more important than decor in a goldfish tank if for no other reason that they help stabilize the water params since goldfish produce a lot of waste.

Jo3 is more or less right, I think, on how many goldfish to start with. I think in a fifty five you would be fine to start with four, especially if the tank is allowed to cycle before hand, but it just depends on your preference. So long as they have plenty of open swimming space and they are not crowded by too many decorations or fish, they should be quite happy! I hope this helps, I picked apart my brain to try and remember all the things that owning one of these little goofballs has taught me. Good luck!

P.S. Out of every single goldfish type, I would recommend shubunkins. I've read many times that they are the hardiest, and I personally think they are the most gorgeous!

Edit: Whoops, I told you anubias lanceolata, but it is anubias nana.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
Thanks Ammy thats a lot of great advice on the food aspect. I want to keep them in optimal health so that will be useful info.
I know everyone gives the fancies a bad rep, just recently my neighbor (keeping several mid-sized shubunkins in a 20 g) advised against the fancies too."They die" she said. And I thought well yours will too if you're keeping them in that. I recommended she get a pond and join mft.

But I think the fancies die/get sick when people don't have their best interest in mind and practice poor /neglectful care. Common since they are coveted for their beauty and are inexpensive. People throw one in a bowl or several in a 10g. All of which I will not do.
I hope what they say is not true about them because I want to succeed in this.

I agree about the bottom feeders (I'm already prepared for the lfs to say I need one) but truthfully I don't even like them.

Thats funny, fancies are pokey lol. But that is perfect for what I am planning. I'd like a peaceful but showy kind of tank. Not too active like a livebearer tank or the shubunkins that I seen in my neighbors tank. And her tank was like cloudy as heck ...overstocking?

Thanks again for sharing your experience with me. All info, greatly appreciated.

Ammy

Small Fish
Apr 3, 2009
Overstocked for sure. Probably also only has a twenty gallon filter running. I'm glad my advice could help, and if you are set on fancies, you definitely sound like someone who could take good care of them. I guess I equate fancies with moms and dads who buy their little brats a big fat fancy goldfish and keep it in a bowl, or like you said, a bunch in a small tank. Best of luck, truly! If you ever need an opinion on goldfish, I will try and help in any way I can! :D