yellowdotted box fish

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
hey guys,

okay. i did something bad. i made an impulse buy yesterday at my LFS. i bought a yellow-dotted boxfish for my tank. and the guy gave me a deal on it also.

so i came home and did some research. i find out that if these boxfishes get stressed or dies, it releases a toxin that'll kill everything in the tank.

yikes.

anybody have any experiences with these fish? my friend kept a few of them and never had a problem. i thought they were really cool tiny fishes..now they're really cool ticking time-bombs....

doh!

tabby360

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NW Arkansas
i dont want those fishes, they sound scary
3 questions
can the toxin kill each other or only other fish
can it kill plants
and can it hurt people

matt

oh and good luck ;D

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
okay. i did something bad. i made an impulse buy yesterday at my LFS. i bought a yellow-dotted boxfish for my tank. and the guy gave me a deal on it also.

so i came home and did some research. i find out that if these boxfishes get stressed or dies, it releases a toxin that'll kill everything in the tank.

yikes.

anybody have any experiences with these fish? my friend kept a few of them and never had a problem. i thought they were really cool tiny fishes..now they're really cool ticking time-bombs....

doh!
[/quote]

Ok, boxfish are easy to keep really. Yellow boxfish are prone to ich, and will die from ich easily at small sizes. Don't worry about toxins at all, I have never had trouble with poisonous fish, and ive had sea cukes and the like die on me that were supposed to kill my system...

How big is your guy? The usually sell them starting at about 1-2" long, and they are all cute then, but when the grow up they lose the boxyness and become elongated, as well as lose their pretty color for a duller one. I've seen them over a foot, and apparently they get a fair bit bigger. You will need a big tank sooner or later (you'll probably get one anyways :p). Other than that... don't worry about what your worrying about... it should be ok :)

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
phew. thanks for the info. it's about the size of my fingernail. really really small. so it fits fine in my tank for now. that'll be the day when it gets too big. haha.

okay. back to work on the site.

thanks!