Yellow Tang might be sick, Help!!!!

Aug 11, 2013
Hello first of all I want to say I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot

So I have a 135 gallon tank, all the readings are 0 and the PH is slightly low.
My yellow tang seems to have red lines on her back and grey scale-looking marks on her nose and gills also she seems to look whiter, and she seems to be breathing harder. We have been feeding her seaweed, a grazing block, formula 2 and brine shrimp
Please help!

Thanks

DSC_0168.jpg

Sorry pic is so small, not sure how to make it bigger.

Feb 27, 2009
Actual water parameters will be more helpful to help to diagnose health issues. What readings are at zero? What is 'slightly low' pH? What temperature and salinity is the tank at?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
How long has she been looking / acting strange? And how long have you had her? I'm assuming you haven't seen any tank mates harassing her.

The paler color is usually stress. Which doesn't really help, because the stress could be from a lot of things.

The trouble breathing could be due to a parasite or flukes (flukes often live in the gills). Or ich I suppose, but with a stressed tang if you had ich I would be shocked if there weren't obvious signs.

If you didn't treat her with PraziPro or similar, I would recommend doing that. PraziPro specifically is actually reef safe except for feather dusters (and flatworms I think) and will treat for flukes and certain other parasites including worms. One of those things that won't hurt even if it doesn't help...

Also you could try soaking her food in Selcon or similar supplement. Maybe adding a quality pellet food like New Life Spectrum to her diet?

I wouldn't worry about that pH.