Wpg?

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
If you believe this is a double-post, it's not.
In the thread, "Fluorescent Lights," I said I wanted a 24" Fluorescent light with a daylight coloration (preferably 6500K). However, I cannot find a bulb that has higher than 20 WPG, because my tank is a 20 gallon long, and I plan to grow dwarf baby tears in it. So, do any of you know of a 24" fluorescent that puts out 40 watts MINIMUM?

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
Oh yeah, I've recently heard of something called "lumens". Based on what I've read about it, I believe it is the amount of "real light" in the bulb(?). So, if I have enough lumens(?) in the bulb, does WPG necessarily matter anymore?

Sorry if I'm not clear; basically I'm asking for info on lumens.

Feb 27, 2009
FlameTetra333 - The lumens output of a light has little to do with the light needed to grow plants. This website can explain it far better that I could:

Bulbs

Your ballast will determine what watts of light you can produce with your current hood. This should be stamped on the hood somewhere, something that says 'Maximum watts' or 'Use bulb no more than XX watts'.

'Stock hoods' (those that come with a basic fish aquarium set-up) usually do not have the ability to produce enough light for plants needing 'high light.' If you want to produce 40+ watts in a 24" hood, I'd recommend you do a retrofit and convert to a compact fluorescent bulb instead of a straight bulb.

36 or 55 watt Bright Kits

This website shows just about every lightbulb you can think of. I've been buying bulbs from them for years. Below is a link to their page for those bulbs used in aquarium hoods:

Aquarium Lights: Light Bulbs Etc, Inc.

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
FlameTetra333 - The lumens output of a light has little to do with the light needed to grow plants. This website can explain it far better that I could:

Bulbs

Your ballast will determine what watts of light you can produce with your current hood. This should be stamped on the hood somewhere, something that says 'Maximum watts' or 'Use bulb no more than XX watts'.

'Stock hoods' (those that come with a basic fish aquarium set-up) usually do not have the ability to produce enough light for plants needing 'high light.' If you want to produce 40+ watts in a 24" hood, I'd recommend you do a retrofit and convert to a compact fluorescent bulb instead of a straight bulb.

This website shows just about every lightbulb you can think of. I've been buying bulbs from them for years. Below is a link to their page for those bulbs used in aquarium hoods:

Aquarium Lights: Light Bulbs Etc, Inc.

Thanks OC, however, i don't want to spend any more money on lighting. The reason why I wanted high light is because I wanted to grow dwarf baby tears. However, since I cannot find the appropriate bulb for them, I just want to keep them alive. So, with low lighting, no CO2 ( I tried to make a DIY geberator but yeast spilled into the 20G, tha
36 or 55 watt Bright Kits

Sorry, OC, but I do not know what "retrofitting" is as I am a child. Also, the only reason I wanted high lighting on my 20G was to grow dwarf baby tears, but since I looked all over the internet, I've decided to give up on that.

So, can dwarf baby tears survive (not necessarily carpet, but at least grow taller), if I do regular doses of Seachem Flourish, and the lighting I have right now (Zoo Med Ultra Sun Super Daylight 6500K 17 watt bulb)?

Also, just out of curiosity, since I could not find neither a hood nor bulb that is 30" (hood) or 24" (light) that goes above 20 watts, does that mean watts do not necessarily determine what is "high light" or "low light"? Sort of like the rule "one inch of adult fish per gallon of water", meaning it's just a general guideline for stocking, or in my case, growing plants?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 27, 2009
Sorry, OC, but I do not know what "retrofitting" is as I am a child.
Retrofit - to install new or modified parts, equipment, etc. to fit into or onto existing equipment.

So, can dwarf baby tears survive (not necessarily carpet, but at least grow taller), if I do regular doses of Seachem Flourish, and the lighting I have right now (Zoo Med Ultra Sun Super Daylight 6500K 17 watt bulb)?
Be careful dosing fertilzers if you have no CO2 and low light. It can cause an algae bloom if things are not in balance (if you add fertilzer, you need to increase CO2 and light equally).

Also, just out of curiosity, since I could not find neither a hood nor bulb that is 30" (hood) or 24" (light) that goes above 20 watts, does that mean watts do not necessarily determine what is "high light" or "low light"?
WPG do mean something for growing plants. The type of reflector behind the light source also plays a big role. Straight flourescent bulbs do not put out enough light for growing high-light plants. That is why I recommended doing a retrofit. You can use the existing hood to put in a compact flourscent light that would put out enough light. If you don't want to spend the money on better lighting, you'd be better off with lower light plants then.

When I had 20gallon long and 29 gallon tanks, I used hoods that had 55watt bulbs in them. Over the 20gallon long tank, I had one 55watt bulb (2.75wpg). Over the 29 gallon tank, I had two 55watt bulbs (3.8wpg). With the advanced reflectors, I could grow high light plants in both tanks. Even though I had much more light over the 29 gallon tank, the available light to the bottom of the tank was about the same. The height of the tank makes a big difference. It is much easier to light a 20gallon long than a 29 gallon.

Last edited: