WOW: I don't believe it, did you say 210g

djm761

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2011
Yesterday I was talking to my son telling him I had about 6 fish I felt I had to get rid of, He told me he was full up and asked why I don't setup another tank , I told him I was tanked out I have a 30g, 36g, 45g, 90g and a 150g, I don't have any time or room left for another tank. Marilyn listen to the conversation but didn't add much other than the fish she would refuse to give up.

this morning when we sat down with our coffee and started talking, Marilyn ask me if we would be in better shape if I ordered a 210g and then combiner the 36g and the 90g, I told her that would be perfect, but where would we put a 210g, she said she could give up the dinning room we only use it ounce a year anyways (for easter) I told her that would work perfectly because the way its setup now it would look like the 150 and the 210 would be in the same room, and then the 90 which is around the corner in my office could be turned in to a holding tank for water changes. she said fine then get some prices and lets do it.

I suspect this means I have to something nice for valentines day, but it will be worth it, the rest of the year I'll have my fish room.

Kayleigh750

Medium Fish
Dec 28, 2011
Canada
Wow, sounds awesome :) I think a bigger lfs around me sells 265 gallon tanks. They're massive! XD I aspire to have a saltwater reef that big some day... Probably a looong time from now. 210 is pretty big though, good luck and have fun :) I'm sure it will turn out wonderfully, and a fish room too! I'd love to have one!

djm761

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2011
Will you dining room floor support this project?? You are talking about well over a ton and a half.
Thyra your right on the mark, this is going to be a big project, first I'll have to clean and organize the basement then add two support columns, then reorganize the dinning room there are things we will have to sell give or throw away, then I will have to add a 20 amp outlet on the wall, all of this has to be done before the tank even comes to the house. I only have about a day and a half a week I can devote to this project so I'm thinking 6-8 weeks and the tank could be up and running. I will be updating the thread. Thanks every one for the replies.

djm761

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2011
Yesterday we did our shopping and purchased a 220g marineland tank with glass tops and a aqueon 3 door oak stand and red flint all natural gravel (no coatings), The gravel will be a #30 dark red, It almost looks like a very coarse sand but can be cleaned with a siphon. that was the fun part today I start working in the basement. My guess is today our marriage will be a little strained ( the what do we save what do we throw away thing )

djm761

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2011
Very nice, how is your Disk doing? I see here in your profile pic now.
She is healing but I can still see the wound, thanks for asking.

Congratulations on the new tank, and good luck with clearing out the basement!
Thanks, and the basement went well, I even set the poles yesterday, but after looking at it I think I want to add two more poles, the way the tank will cover the floor joists it's hard to distribute the weight evenly with just the two poles now inplace.

Last edited:

djm761

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2011
I took today monday and tuesday off, so I can get this project done, I just picked up the stand, tops and gravel, the filters and media came on thursday and my nephew will install the 20 amp outlet on sunday, the work in the basement is done, so when the outlet is installed I can set the stand in place and pre leveled it, the tank will be delivered 11:00 AM monday morning, by that time every thing should be pre rinsed and ready to install, I'm hoping to have the tank filled with water monday night and have fish swimming by tuesday noon, I'm not sure if the heaters can heat that much water that quickly, but that's the goal

*GOLDFISH*

djm761

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2011
Ok, so leveling this tank was a bigger job than I anticipated, we ended up custom cutting shims, it was worth the effort the tank sat full of water over night and hasn't moved. and yes the tank is 1/32 higher in the front, I always set them up to lean slightly toward the wall. I think I can finish the job today and add fish later in the week, still waiting on the plants, they where ordered on the 14th

*SUNSMILE*

LNT 001.jpg LNT 002.jpg LNT 003.jpg

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Your tank is beautiful! Question: What side of the house is the window on? Will you have to "black out" that end of the tank by the window to keep algae from taking over?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I will probably get a certain amount of backlash from this suggestion, but I would get a piece of flexiglas mirror (I think that is a trade name) cut to fit that end. Its plexiglass and light weight and if it is cut properly the bottom can rest on the frame and you can tape the top inconspicuously to the top frame. I cut it myself with a scroll saw, (but should you do that don't put masking tape on the back side to run the saw on - you will pull the backing off the mirror when removing) I have used the mirror on two of my tanks and have not had any problems with fish being obsessed as some warned. I have bettas and angels in the tanks (besides other community fish). I would actually use it on all my tanks because it effectively hides all the wires, etc. but I have no more left. (Angels are the only cichlids I have)

Last edited: