Woohoo babies!!

Tyarith

Small Fish
Apr 26, 2013
Hello. I recently had one of my Black Mollies give birth to about 6 babies.

The best solution to keep the babies alive is probably a breeder's net. A breeder's net is a tight-woven net put around a plastic frame that hangs inside of your tank with the babies inside, so they're protected from their parents. I bought one at PetSmart for about $5.00.

Okay, so, once you have bought the breeder's net, you will need to assemble it if it isn't already assembled. Once the net is put together, hang it on the inside of your tank. Then (you may need someone to help you with this), hold the breeder's trap down while holding the lid up, and scoop up the baby/babies in another net. Then just put them inside the breeder's net, and close the lid. It's that simple.

Feeding: Your baby/babies should be fed two or three times a day at minimum. I started off with three times a day but after a while my baby managed fine with only two feeding times a day. Your babies will eat the food you feed all your other fish, but before you put it into the net for them to eat, you will need to grind the food into a powder, almost.

Get a paper plate, put some fish food on it, and grind the food with a metal spoon for a few minutes. Once the food is nearly made into a powder, pinch some of the food, and feed your babies. :)

I tried these strategies and they worked. Just make sure you don't put too much food into the net, or it will rot and eventually kill the baby inside.

Let me know if you need any more help!!! :)

Mar 13, 2013
Georgia
Thanks for the advice! I found divider made of mesh and made them a small spot in the tank where they can go to the gravel and plant or float to the top. They seem to like it. I also bought some first bites food designed for babies, I believe it is has a little more nutrition for them. So far they seem happy... Just can't wait for them to get bigger so i can see what they are going to look like!

image-3721647122.jpg

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
That's a nice picture of those itty babies! And a nice job giving them a secluded little bedroom in the tank. They will probably pick little motes of food off the plant and gravel.

Tyarith

Small Fish
Apr 26, 2013
Thanks for the advice! I found divider made of mesh and made them a small spot in the tank where they can go to the gravel and plant or float to the top. They seem to like it. I also bought some first bites food designed for babies, I believe it is has a little more nutrition for them. So far they seem happy... Just can't wait for them to get bigger so i can see what they are going to look like!

View attachment 11631
Your idea is so creative~

Where'd you find all this stuff to use? My PetSmart doesn't have as much. :confused:

Yeah, watching them grow is pretty cool. My fry got up to about an inch within three months, but then he died for some unknown reason. :/

Mar 13, 2013
Georgia
I went to a store called "petland" not sure if its a real big chain... But the had the stuff so I got creative! Lol. They seem to love being able to hide in the bottom with the plants or being up at the top with the food. I have been using the lid to my flakes and grinding some up for them to eat, plus using first bites. It's more of a powder and tiny enough for their little mouths.

Is it bad i want to crawl in the tank with them? Lol

Apr 29, 2013
Wow!!! I love this forum :D So much info! I just bought a female platy from petsmart and she just kept getting bigger and bigger. A couple weeks later, 21
babies! I'm SUPER excited and don't want to raise the babies wrong....they're so cute! I have new homes planned out for them but not sure when I can send them away :) also wondering the best place to keep the fry.

Mar 13, 2013
Georgia
Welcome to the forum jtoplay! I plan on going my "extras" to the local fish store. I know they will take whatever I can't give away.

As for where to keep the babies, lots of people have a seperate tank to put them in, I got a mesh divider and am keeping them in the front of my tank. Seems to work! Lol. You should put up some photos of your babies!

image-908341769.jpg

Most recent photos of my babies! I do believe they are getting bigger! Hehe

Feb 27, 2009
Unless the white one was the only male with the mother molly in the last 5-6 months, there is no guarantee that he's the father. Livebearers like mollies can store sperm from a single breeding and have many batches of fry.

Mar 13, 2013
Georgia
OC he is the only male and I've had her for a while. He's definatly the daddy... an I just have to add... He will be leaving soon lol. He's already trying to mate with her again lol. No rest for the weary lol!

Apr 29, 2013
I just got a breeders net for my fry :) and was wondering where in the tank I should set it up?? :confused:

And I have 20 fry and was wondering if just one breeders net would suffice for a while or I would need something bigger..?

Mar 13, 2013
Georgia
I set my babies to the front because its easier to see them! :) as far as if the breeders bet is big enough, i will let someone else answer that one! I have never used a breeder net so I don't know and would hate to tell you something wrong!