Will Different Types/Colors of Platy Breed?

Apr 3, 2007
Knoxville Area
Will different types of platy's breed together? I have several orange platy and would like to add some color by getting some Micky Mouse platy's. Will the two types breed?

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Male and female platies will breed regardless of colors or marking types. What color is the Mickey mouse platy?

Note that the fry will be quite varied. To obtain the mickey mouse pattern, I think that several breedings were required.

For example, I bred my red swordtail with my black calico platy. I fry I had came with green eyes and a bright orange mix. Neither the father or mother had green eyes.

Keep this in mind to that not all of your fry will have the mickey mouse pattern. Good luck!

Dino

Large Fish
Mar 3, 2007
90 degrees north
The colors you see in the fish in the stores were created by mixing wild type platies.
There is no wild type mickey mouse platy.
With genes from several species in the common platy mix, there is no telling what you might wind up with.

Have fun!

Dino

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
The blue is closer... She has the black gravid spot. Do you have a plan for the babies? Livebearers will overpopulate fairly quickly, so unless you have a plan for lots of babies, you probably don't want to separate the moms into the breeder box. It will stress mom out, and they usually look ready to pop for a while before actually giving birth so they end up sequestered for a while. A few babies will survive in the main tank - more will if you have plenty of hiding spots (plants, real or fake, for them to hide in). And then the females will continue to make more...

Apr 14, 2016
The blue is closer... She has the black gravid spot. Do you have a plan for the babies? Livebearers will overpopulate fairly quickly, so unless you have a plan for lots of babies, you probably don't want to separate the moms into the breeder box. It will stress mom out, and they usually look ready to pop for a while before actually giving birth so they end up sequestered for a while. A few babies will survive in the main tank - more will if you have plenty of hiding spots (plants, real or fake, for them to hide in). And then the females will continue to make more...
Thank you so much for the guidance. We brought fish for first time.