who makes quality freshwater filters?

Apr 6, 2012
I have a 46 gallon tank with 4 koi and one of them is 17 inches long. I am running 2 over the tank marineland filters just to keep it clean. From reading reviews and my own experiences they have had a quality down turn. Who make good filters these days?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
From what I understand filters are really primarily to aerate your tank and help harbor beneficial bacterial. I use a siphon to clean my tank. I have never had any koi, but from what I have learned on this forum I am going to say your tank is way too small for 4 koi and no amount of filtration will change that. Let's see what other have to say.

Feb 27, 2009
I have a 46 gallon tank with 4 koi and one of them is 17 inches long. I am running 2 over the tank marineland filters just to keep it clean. From reading reviews and my own experiences they have had a quality down turn. Who make good filters these days?
In my experience, Marineland makes an ok-ish filter, but you are trying to run two go-cart engines to power a semi-truck! If its a 'standard' rectangle aquarium, 46 gallons is roughly 40" by 16" by 21" tall. Four koi and one is 17" long???!!!

I agree with other comments, the tank is way too small to house any koi, and no number of filters you put on could keep up with the waste output.