White Poop

Jul 1, 2003
Calgary, AB
Visit site
My black lyre-tail molly has been pooping white for the last couple of days. I was just wondering if this was cause for any concern because I've been reading that it might be due to internal parasites.

The fish itself is swimming around just as "happily" as can be and is a voracious eater...no clamped fins or listlessness that would be associated with something wrong...so this may be a "new-to-the-hobby-so-tends-to-micromanage/overreact" question.

Water parameters etc.

Temperature:between 78-80 (my apartment gets hot)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5ppm
PH: 8.0 -- apparently pretty normal for Calgary
Gh/Kh: I'm not raising discus!
Tank: Eclipse System 1 18g high -- Which I got for free from a friend! (sorry had to add that)

diet includes a mix of pellets, flakes, bloodworms.
tank mates include 2 peppered catfish who seem occupied -- and very content -- with their neverending mission of combing the bottom.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Apr 30, 2003
New Zealand
Visit site
I would try feeding it some vege matter. I know when the poop is green its an overload of minerals so i think white means not enough. Peas and brocilli are the 2 that stand out to me. You can also buy food from your LFS that is high in vege matter. Another option is algae tablets which your catfish will also love - watch they dont eat them all as theyre not the ones with the problem!