white on female black mollie

ang232

New Fish
Jul 2, 2004
Visit site
Ok, I got 2 black mollies about 3 weeks ago from my LPS and I was told that they were pregnant. Well, they were in a tank alone with alot of baby mollies and I wasn't sure if they were from the mommas or not. But they assured me that they were pregnant. Well, they are not very fat and one of them has like a white or silverish area around her gills?? I'm not sure if its her gills but its up in that area of her body. Does this mean she's pregnant? Because the other one doesn't have that and she is chasing the one that does around. I'm really confused. I have read some other post on here, but I am still really confused. Thanks for the help.

angie

ang232

New Fish
Jul 2, 2004
Visit site
oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I started looking harder at my fish, and well I think they are all pregnant. My molly I describe above has a white spot underneath her, my other molly has a little one, and my platy is getting fatter and fatter each day. All I have in the tank are those 3 fish. I am hoping they will be ok with the babies in there. I do have a breeding net that I currently have my really fat molly in so she can give birth in there and I can release her back into the main part of the tank. I'm gonna be a mommie!!! This is soooooooo cool.!!!

AliD1225

Small Fish
Jul 2, 2004
PA
Visit site
I would think that this would be a disease. possibly ick. The female black mollies shouldn't have white on them even when theyre pregnant. The only way to tell if the female mollies are pregnant is if she's getting fat. This is with the black mollies.

Silver mollies you would be able to tell if theyre pregnant because they will have a dark spot on their bely.

AliD1225

Small Fish
Jul 2, 2004
PA
Visit site
The fish would have a dark spot near their anal fin. You will not be able to see this on all types of livebearers. If the fish has white spots on their gills etc...I think that this would be a disease. Possibly ick. Watch to see if they're scratching against objects in the tank, they're holding their fins close to their bodies or are hiding in corners. If you see this happening, treat them for ick.

ang232

New Fish
Jul 2, 2004
Visit site
Its not ick. I know what ick is and what it looks like. I have had fish that have had it before. She has white near her anal fin, but her gills are silver and so is the top of her head. I just think its her coloring and I just started noticing it. As for her being pregnant...she gave birth today.

AliD1225

Small Fish
Jul 2, 2004
PA
Visit site
Congrats!! oh ok...the way that I read it sounded like you were syaing that she had white spots that to me sounded like ick but apparently not. Sorry about that. I had a molly that had gold on the top of her head and down her back. She died a few days ago from ick. I tried everything I could to save her but there was nothing that I could do.

ang232

New Fish
Jul 2, 2004
Visit site
hey guys..well, I have 5 black baby mollies. Will she drop more? Cuz I thought they had like 20 to 50. But I only have 5 right now and they are soooooooooooooo cute. Also I am going out of town for a month and I have a friend feeding my fish for me. They are in the main tank with the momma, She was in a breeders net but she got out some how and had the babies in the main tank. Will, they be ok? I am feeding my fish alot more to make sure the babies get food too.

AliD1225

Small Fish
Jul 2, 2004
PA
Visit site
I would catch the babies and put them in the breeder net. They will most likely be eaten if you don't. They should be seperated from the adults for about 3-4 weeks or more. Keep watching the mother because she may not be done yet.

ang232

New Fish
Jul 2, 2004
Visit site
ok, I have caught the babies and placed them and the mommie in the breeder net. Will she eat the babies if I leave her in there to drop the rest of her babies? All I have in my tank is the 2 mollies, both pregnant, and one female platy. I was told that they wouldn't eat the babies by my LFS. But, like I said earlier I am going out of town for a month and i don't want to do anything to harm them or the mommie. I leave on Tuesday ( July 6th). Oh, I think your eel type things are Dragon fish. If they look like a dragon crossed with and eel, that is what they are. (AliD1225).

ang232

New Fish
Jul 2, 2004
Visit site
Sad news guys. My mommie fish has died. I went to check on her and her babies in the breeders net to see if she dropped anymore babies and she was dead. I can't believe she died. I guess I should of left her alone in the main tank to finish dropping her babies. I'm a fish killer. :O( Well, my next molly can just drop her babies in the main tank. Well, at least I have four of her babies. hopefully they will survive while im gone.

AliD1225

Small Fish
Jul 2, 2004
PA
Visit site
Sorry to hear that. You're not a fish killer. It happens. Next time try to move just the babies into the breeder. Leave her in the tank and just keep collecting all the babies you can and add them to the breeder.

Last edited: