Which Saltwater Fish?

T.Shaw

Small Fish
Sep 20, 2011
Kansas
Hello all,
Is there any type of Saltwater fish out there in the aquarium trade that is similar to a freshwater Plecostomus or Chinese Algae Eater?

I am looking for a good algae eating species for my 29 Gallon.
I have a Coral Beauty Angel, though it dose not seem to be eating any of the algae.

I need a saltwater Pleco HAHA :D God I am so used to freshwater. :( Anyways, shoot me some ideas!

T.Shaw

Small Fish
Sep 20, 2011
Kansas
Ah crap not good news! I did not know this about SW :confused: Thats what I get for not thinking about algae research in SW. I have two Green Spotted Puffers They will eat the snails, right? Thats like there main diet in the wild isnt it haha!?

What do you guys suggest? Should I just give Turbo Snails a try? My puffers are about 2 to 2 1/2 inches in size. They themselves are not aggressive, at least not aggressive to my Damsels or my Coral Beauty.

T.Shaw

Small Fish
Sep 20, 2011
Kansas
I'm pretty sure the algae that I am currently seeing is Brown/Golden Diatom Algae.

Turbo Snails eat this right? Do you know if the Emerald Crab does? I cant find any specific algae eating info on him.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Emerald crabs are a hit and miss on algae. I have seen SOME of mine eat the bubble algae and the brown to. The turbos eat the green and ignore the brown if green is present. Once the green has been decreased they eat the brown. The emerald crabs are going to eat what the fish miss and help decrease the brown stuff they should be in the tank to as well as the small hermit crabs.

T.Shaw

Small Fish
Sep 20, 2011
Kansas
This is true, but the Snails would probably have a better shot at survival than the Blenny wouldn't you think?

When I had the Puffers in freshwater they tore through a 6 inch Dragon Fish and a 4 inch Albino Sengal Birchir. :confused:
Both are bottom feeders.