Which Pleco?

N

newbieWithBigTank

I'm setting up a new tank, 150 gallons, and I've never done this before. I'm reading (and reading and reading) and I want a pleco in the tank. My well ph is 6.6 and I'll probably not mess with it much as I like SA Cichlids and other "regular" fish that'll do fine with that. I don't want anything that gets larger than about 6"... but I want help with the algae, so I'd like a pleco that'll eat algae (and I do know I'll still have to clean the glass). Which one do you all recommend? And how many?

You could have 3-4 bristlenose plecs in there, and /or a rubberlip plec. Bristlenoses come in long finned and albino varieties, too.

Good grief there are tons of algae-eating plecs, just not a lot that stay under 6"......

clown plecos are pretty, but they are marginal algae eaters. Tiger plecs (there are different ones called tigers, can't remember the name of the vegetarianone/small one) might work too.

N

newbieWithBigTank

[quote author=luvfishies link=board=bottomfeeder&num=1027547641&start=0#1 date=07/24/02 at 20:33:44]
Good grief there are tons of algae-eating plecs, just not a lot that stay under 6"......

[/quote]

Thanks luvfishies! This has exactly been my problem, I start reading about a fish and thinking, Oooh, this sounds good, and then I get to the part about the size... oh. never mind.

riddlephil

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
to be honest with you, i wouldnt even buy a pleco!  I find that all they do is leave Huge amounts of waste everywhere and dont hold their own at algae eating.  You would be better off with otto cats.