Where did you get your 55 gal aquarium hood?

IrishBull

Small Fish
Oct 2, 2006
I've been looking everywhere for a 55 gallon lighted hood and I can't find anything.. Do they not make them? I saw something at Petsmart but it was just some sort of long clip-on light that doesn't cover the tank. Could I get two 30 gallon hoods or something? The top is sectioned into two halves because there is a glass brace.. It is frustrating me!

Also, can anyone give me a general idea of how long a tank would take to cycle if I put about 2/5 tap water (added water conditioner to it) and 3/5 pond water? I took the pond water from my backyard pond. This is the first day the filter has been running with it because I had to wait for the silicon in the hole in the side to cure. I think a couple rosy reds got caught in the bucket too so there may be a couple fish in there. I could check a little later for floaters.. But just wondering if adding pond water would help cycle time. Thanks!

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
Also, can anyone give me a general idea of how long a tank would take to cycle if I put about 2/5 tap water (added water conditioner to it) and 3/5 pond water? I took the pond water from my backyard pond. This is the first day the filter has been running with it because I had to wait for the silicon in the hole in the side to cure. I think a couple rosy reds got caught in the bucket too so there may be a couple fish in there. I could check a little later for floaters.. But just wondering if adding pond water would help cycle time. Thanks!
In theory, it won't really help you because the nitrifying bacteria you need live on the surfaces of things, not in the water. But, I've no idea what you brought into your tank with the pond water. Who knows?

Still, I wouldn't think it would help accelerate your cycle. Maybe look into adding gravel or decor or a filter from an already established tank.

Stykman

Medium Fish
Mar 12, 2008
Aston, PA
Hey Bull,

As far as the Hood goes, I originally started out with 2 hoods side by side. And I do believe they were for a standard 30 gal tank. I did eventually get 1 solid hood that holds "2" 48 inch bulbs. I believe I got it at "That Fish Place"...and this was probably about 10-15 years ago.

I'm not sure of your dimensions, but if you are a standard 48" long by 18" deep, they should have what you want. And they do have 2 Hoods that will go on each side of that glass brace.

thatfishplace.com and search "hood"

Last edited:

Lone Wolff

Medium Fish
Feb 4, 2008
Lincoln, NE
I got mine from Aquariumguys.com. I don't have live plants, so I didn't need any specific wattage, or options of any sort. Just a lid with a light.

Hood - Recessed - Fluorescent - Black - 55 gal. - 48 in. x 12 in.

"Recessed hood from Perfecto with black finish includes one 48" T-10 standard fluorescent bulb. Stylish and practical, the front access runs the whole length of the hood."

Your needs may vary, but for me this one was cheaper to buy and ship than buying one locally.

edit...Forgot to add that the light is a separate piece from the lids. The lids are actually two 23" pieces that fit on each half of the brace. The brace is pretty much std for all 55g tanks. The light goes across both lid pieces.

Last edited: