When to remove krib fry?

Jun 28, 2003
UK
Visit site
My krib fry are now three weeks old and i wondered if it was about time to remove the fry from the parents now or leave them a few weeks more?

Also if i do have to remove them, any tips on catching approx 30 fry in a well planted 10 gal tank?

Thanks,
*Karma*

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I'm facing the same problem.

I would say that because the fry do not depend on the parents for anything other than protection that they could be removed when ever you wanted to. However, I do not know the long term effects if any that this would have. I have read some reports that with certian species of fish, that when the fry are removed too early that they do not learn some behaviour from the parents. Unfortuneatly I do not remember the species in question, and do not know if this aspect would affect krib fry or not. I seem to want to say that it was reguarding some species of shellies and the youngs willingness to take to shells. Back on subject, sorry...

So when ever you want to remove them should be fine. Also I think that the less fry that are around, the more your pair will spawn. Be warrned however that you do not want them to spawn too much because it will put much undue stress on both the pair after a while. I would leave some fry to stay with the parents to help keep any agression down.

How you want to move them depends on how big they are. If they are small enough to syphon out with airline tubing that would be a great way to move them. If not, mabey try a little larger tubing. After that, the only other real option is to grab a net.

Jun 28, 2003
UK
Visit site
Thanks Orion, i think i'll set up the grow out tank sometime this week and move them when the tank is ready.
I may try the siphoning technique to remove the fry, but i'll need to get some appropriately sized tube!

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I've been thinking and watching my fry and wanted to share a tidbits with you.

I have a long piece of driftwood that has java moss all over it. The female will take her brood up to the driftwood several times a day. Im assuming that the fry are feeding on the stuff in the moss, and mabey the moss itself. So when I populate the fry tank with some fry, I am going to be sure that I take some mature java moss and place in with them. If nothing else this is going to serve as some protection and shelter for the fry.

Just a thought is you have some java moss to spare.

Jun 28, 2003
UK
Visit site
thanks Orion, i havent got any java moss at the moment, just java fern, but i was hoping to get some for the fry tank.
I've set the small tank up with my 5 guppy fry in to help mature the tank etc for the krib fry.
I've removed the male krib from the rest of the family so i can leave the fry with the mom for another week or two before seperating.

Thanks again and i'll let you know hw it goes.

Jun 28, 2003
UK
Visit site
yeah, i didnt supliment any other foods for the first three weeks but have prepared a crushed food for them over the past week using the best available flake, crisp and pellet food (<- tetra prima). They seem to be enjoying this and still doing well.

I noticed this morning that the larger fry now look like miniture fish rather than just fry blobs, they're so cute!

Hope yours are doing well too Orion.