When my Platy will be ready to give birth

May 9, 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie, got 4 females and 1 male. Didn't even know they give birth. One morning saw 2 very tiny babies swimming around the tank ( 10 gallon). That's how I got this interested about fish. Now one of my platy seems pregnant. I read so many articles and watched videos. Don't want to miss to see her giving babies and don't want her to eat the babies. Bought the fry trap. I know it will be boxed shape, the butt/vent will be white and open when they are ready. My question is how long before giving birth they will look boxed shape? 1 or 2 days before or a day before?

Jan 21, 2017
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie, got 4 females and 1 male. Didn't even know they give birth. One morning saw 2 very tiny babies swimming around the tank ( 10 gallon). That's how I got this interested about fish. Now one of my platy seems pregnant. I read so many articles and watched videos. Don't want to miss to see her giving babies and don't want her to eat the babies. Bought the fry trap. I know it will be boxed shape, the butt/vent will be white and open when they are ready. My question is how long before giving birth they will look boxed shape? 1 or 2 days before or a day before?
Be careful they usually attempt to eat the babies.