Whats the most peacful gourami?

Oct 22, 2002
Okay I want a peacful fish. I Very peaceful fish. I've had so many aggressive fish problems that I just can't seem to have a normal non-competitve community tank. I have a 20g that needs some fish. I had one male neon dwarf before and he was just great! But I would like to have like 4 of differen't types of gouramis. I'm afried to get all male because they might fight, however I don't think I should have pairs cause then they would be fighting for breeding space just like my angles. I would like to put some rasboras in but don't want them to be eatin. Any suggestions?

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Go with Honey Dwarf, Sparkling, or Sunset Thicklips. They are the most non-aggressive peaceful gouramis I know. They also remain fairly small, about 4" max.

Every gourami is an individual, that is something you must watch out for. Some people get lucky and get a very submissive "friendly" gourami, other people get small terrors! Doesn't matter male or female, both can be very aggressive and destroy tankmates on a whim.  I would stay away from gouramis that grow large, such as pink kissers, gold, blues, opalines, snakeskin, three-spots, moonlights, leeris, and pearl. They will outgrow a 20 gallon tank, and the larger they get usually the more aggressive they become.

Usually with gouramis it is recommended to have two females and a male of appoximately all the same size.  This does not mean less aggression, it just means that the trio would be so busy chasing each other they won't have time for chasing tankmates.  Fish like to set up a pecking order, and will continue to be aggressive until they figure out who is top fish and who is bottom fish.  Most gouramis have mating aggression as well. If the male is horney, he will harass the females. If the female doesn't want to, she'll beat the crap out of the male. You don't have the room in a 20 gallon tank for a trio of gouramis, especially of the larger grown species.

Stick with dwarf species. Sometimes *knock on wood* you get a real docile single male or female, sometimes you don't.
~~Colesea

Oct 22, 2002
I added another male dwarf gourami to my 20 gallon, which already housed a male dwarf and some corys.  Once added, the new male dwarf became a complete bully and wouldn't let the other one eat or leave the bottom corner of the tank.  I eventually seperated them.
I can't speak for all dwarf males, but the one I bought was a mean SOB.

Oct 22, 2002
amongst the most aggresive are the 3 spots..the cosbys, and the other strains.

Paradise fish are bickerish, and are likely to do physical damage ot a new gourami(male) added to hte tank. Females fights rarely result in any injury. The worst I've had is my dominant males tail had 3 bulletholes ripped out by his younger and smaller opponent(big guy was moved to another tank cause he didn't look to well, then he ws returned). These holes healed in 3 days or so.  So I don't think that they are to bad.