What to do with outcast platy?

Cillana

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Louisiana
www.cillana.corydorasworld.com
I have this really pretty male platy that always gets picked on by the other two males. All three started out the same size. The other males have been chasing him so much that that he is almost always hiding and doesn't get much to eat. He hasn't grown any since I got him but the other two have. His tail is split down the middle. His scales started to look really beat up and I noticed other fish that usually don't bother anyone started to pick on him too. I setup a hospital tank to let him recuperate. He looks much better now, but is still small. Even though I am moving my fish to a much larger tank, I'm afraid to put him back with the other platies. I'm considering putting him in my mom's tank. It's a 5 1/2 gallon with a pair of cherry barbs, a male guppy, and an oto in it. Do you think it would work? The guppy doesn't pick on the other fish, but I thought he might pick on the platy because they are closely related. What do you think?

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Do you have any females with the other 2 platies?
They would most likely go after the females and not he if you had some.

He should be fine in the other tank. Get him a girlfriend, he will be happier.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
[shadow=color,direction,width]I would suggest getting some females too. If not I think he would be fine in the 5 1/2 gallon. I had one with some platies and guppys and they were fine together so if that's what you want that should be fine.

Ryan ;D
[/shadow]

Oct 22, 2002
Females are the way to go the ratio should be about 3 females to one male (this is what i do). and on the plus side you will be the proud owner of some fry that will carry the males genes. ;D

Cillana

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Louisiana
www.cillana.corydorasworld.com
I have two females. I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and get some more now (lfs is getting some more platies this thursday) or wait until my 7 babies (about to have more) get bigger and pick out a few females to keep.

I thought the ratio was 2 females to 1 male.

FishChick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wisconsin
Just one question for the guys who think the platy needs a girlfriend.  The platy has 2 girlfriends, right?  maybe they found out about eachother and beat up on him.   ::)