What should i do?

Aleka

New Fish
May 4, 2013
Hey i just got a male halfmoon betta a couple weeks ago and i have him in a tank thats not even a half gallon. i wanted to get a bigger tank then but my mom didnt want me spending too much money in case i didnt like it, so now we're going to get him one. what size should i get and what kind of filtering and light should it have, and should i get a snail to deal with the algae?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I would definitely go with the 10 g tank - you will find it easier to care for and the cost will not be much different from a 5 gallon and the kit would probably come with the necessary filter, heater and light. You might check Craig's List for a used set up and also Walmart has less expensive options than some of the other places. With a 10 gallon you will be able to add a couple of other fish should you chose - you just have more options - or even a divider so you could have two bettas and they would love the room.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
I agree with Thyra. And you may not need to worry much about algae - a properly balanced tank that doesn't get too much light or overfeeding shouldn't grow excessive algae. What little there is you can easily remove yourself once in a while. So wait until you get the tank and have it set up a while before you think about algae.
Do you know about cycling your new tank? This is going to be the most important part of your new setup. Check out the stickies on this forum about the nitrogen cycle so you know what you need to do when you get the tank - before you put fish in!

Aleka

New Fish
May 4, 2013
Ok thank you! I have an old 10 g tank that i had goldfish in a few years ago, the last fish i had died after about five years and unfortunately sat in there and rotted for a week or two, should i wash out and use that one or just get a new tank?

Aleka

New Fish
May 4, 2013
Thank you. I wasnt able to find info here about nitrogen but i looked at the petco website and i never had to worry about stuff like that with my goldfish. If i were to just let the tank run for a day or two before putting my fish in would that fix the nitrogen level? I think hes affected by it already in his current tank because he lays at the bottom a lot

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Ust wash out the tank you already have. Don't use soap. I needed you and use a dilute bleach - like that spray on Clorox for bath or kitchen - just rinse, rinse, rinse afterwards and let it dry. A fish that died five years ago should not have any impact on anything once cleaned.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Running the tank does not do anything for the nitrogen cycle. What Laura meant about Stickies is to go to the Beginners Forum and read some of them for beginners and cycling. The most important part of this will be testing your water to keep the ammonia and nitrite at zero - you will know your tank is cycled when you see some nitrAte. With just one fish in a 10 gallon tank - you already have the fish so doing a fishless cycle would mean he would have to stay in that little bowl for a month or more - I would dechlorinate the water (unless you have well water) and then do about a 25% water change at least once a week. A kit for testing your water costs about $30, but you could for now take samples to your LFS and they usually test for free. Until you understand cycling, do not add any more fish to your tank. With regular water changes I think your betta wil be fine but it will take probably a couple of months to actually cycle your tank.