What "Others" do you have? and a question

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
So... What creatures do you have that fit in this catagory? I want pictures of the diferent types for when I have to decide what to get, so if you have pics (or links) please include them! If not, still tell me about your creatures!

I am looking for the perfect cantidate for a setup I want to make.

I like crabs and crays and things of that nature, but I want this to be a planted setup. Is there anything that has the appearance of a crab or crey that wont tear up my plants?

I had some red claw crabs and a crey before, they were a blast, but even my FAKE plants were destroyed by the crey! LOL

Any suggestions?

Right now I've got a 5.5gl dedicated to dwarf shrimp.
I'm still working on the tank but it's been real fun so far.

It's really fun watching them and looking for new babies every day. They multiply easily and very fast. They're great on algae. They're also rediculously cute! And addictive. :D

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
If you scroll to the second post in this thread...

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34032

...you'll see some fuzzy pictures of my 2 Singapore Shrimp. They hold out their fan-like appendages and filter micro-algae particles out of the water to feed on.

Another cool thing about them is that they'll actually change colors (slightly) depending on their moods/need for camouflage, etc.

I don't know that you'll have any luck in finding crays or crabs that won't mess around with real plants though. :confused:

I'll post a couple pics of my cray in a minute here...(aside from the one in my avatar)...

Big Vine

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Awesome, thanks guys! Lets keep 'em commin! :) SJ, that tank looks awesome!

BV, Not necessarily worried about them messing with them, I just don't want them all to be 'mowed'! LOL My crey snipped all my fake plants right off, and they were pretty thick plastic, so I can't imagine putting real plants in with one! LOL

Is there any other land/water creatures I am missing? I want to make a biodome type environment, although I might just go to my herp side rather than aquatics on that one, I just thought crabs are SO MUCH FUN! LOL Maybe I'll get some land hermits. I just never have enough do I?! LOL

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Yup VirgoWolf, I know how you feel. I've always been intrigued by crabs too, but never have kept any. If I did, I'd probably keep some red claws or fiddlers in a tank with a "landing" in it---I've seen em' at the fish stores...you just suction cup them onto the side of the tank, and they allow the crabs to easily rest at/above the surface at their leisure.
I'd do it in a brackish tank though, due to the salt requirement on the part of the crabs.

Maybe hermits is the way to go if you can't find suitable aquatic species that are to your liking?

Keep us posted. I'd be curious to see what sort of biotope-type creation you come up with!
Big Vine

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
BV, my crab tank was as awesome as it could have been for not spending a dime and using what I had! LOL I took a pre made rock stack thing and glued a big flatish rock on top, some fake plants and shells, made it look like it had been there forever! Then I made a smaller wedge like hide rockpile and connected the 2 with a ladder I made with airline tubing with shells between the rungs so they didn't fall through (this is not so easy, silicone takes FOREVER to set up and trying to hold each rung in place was a pain) Once it was in the water, the airline dissapeared, but it gave the crabs something to get to the surface with, although they mostly climbed the side of the rock structure and hid in the crevace between the rock structure and the big overhanging rock above. I never got any good pics, but if I run across any of my crummy old pics I will post them.

Not sure where I am going with the biotope, I am having a hard time finding creatures that will thrive in the type of environment I want. I am planning a couple vivariums with land and water, probably one for poision dart frogs and one for a brazilian rainbow boa, but I want to make something more aquatic also.

Joker, He's AWESOME! I want one! LOL How big do they get?

joker1857

Small Fish
Jan 8, 2006
his body(not including his legs) is about 5in....i havent been able to find alot of info on the net about them but ive had him for almost a year and he hasnt grown much so im guessing thats as big as they get. im getting another on on the 26th along with some malawi snails.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Wow. I will have to remember to ask my favorite LFS if they can get them for me, I want one! LOL

Big Vine, I will look for those pics, I lost alot of pics when my comp. crashed, not sure if they were in it. I'll check around for them.