What kind of fish is this?

I recently purchased 3 of these type fish. At the 'all' fish store (not petsmart, petco or places like that), the tank this was in was labeled as a Chinese Algae eater. the salesperson who sold them to me said that many people confuse these with the Flying Fox fish. well, two of them died. when i went back to the LFS, the manager on duty said they were Siamese algae eaters. i told him the original salesperson said they were Chinese; he said that sales agent was wrong. i should of pointed out to him the label on the fish tank. i tried researching online...it appears to be the Flying Fox not Chinese but then i saw some pixs online like this one and it was called Chinese Algae eater. does anyone know the EXACT answer? also saw online that the Chinese Algae eater & the Siamese Algae eater is the same fish.

i also read online NOT to purchase an algae eater unless you have algae. the first salesperson told me it was ok to purchase when i told her i had very, very little algae. also told her my algae is brown (which you may be able to see in the pix). she said that's ok even though this (chinese algae according to her) fish prefers hair algae. i have a cloth-type plant in the tank that has quite a bit of the brown algae but this fish won't eat it. i've tried feeding it algae wafers; wont touch it. it did nibble on a piece of spinach but only a little and didn't touch it again. any suggestions on how to feed whatever this is? this fish also stays in hiding. is this common?

Attachments

Last edited: