What is it??

Laura_b

Small Fish
Mar 14, 2016
United Kingdom
Hi all, could really use your help and advice!
I was just giving my freshwater tropicals some food and saw a little grey leech type creature in my gravel substrate!! I didn't see the whole thing but I'm guessing it was around 2cm long or so. Any ideas on what it is and how/if I should get rid of it?
The only new things in the tank are three small blue shrimp, a moss ball and another plant (I don't know what it is). Other than that, it's a piece of driftwood that I put in about a month ago after soaking in boiling water, baking, and scrubbing several times each over the course of a week.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you

Jul 16, 2016
Where did you get the driftwood from? It might possibly be a baby leech that hitchhiked into your aquarium somehow, maybe from an egg that came in on one of the plants. What all, fish and/or invertebrates do you have?

Laura_b

Small Fish
Mar 14, 2016
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply. I've been told it might be a planaria, so I've taken measures to sort that out too just in case. I got the driftwood from my lfs and boiled it, baked it and scrubbed it several times over the course of a week. So I think hitchhikers is unlikely. I haven't seen the invader since, if that helps