what is compatable with a rb pacu?

Feb 20, 2007
I have a small red belly pacu and want to add to the tank --- what kind of other fish can I put with it?

amystours

Medium Fish
Feb 26, 2006
I have mine with an Oscar, and they get along just fine...however, at work, we have the baby ones housed with baby pitcus cats, and everybody seems happy. What exactly did you have in mind?

What size tank do you have, hun? That cute booger is going to get HUGE, probably close to three feet, just so you know!! He *shouldn't* pose a threat to other fish, as he would much prefer to have a piece of zucchini rather than a fish, but we have those customers who insist that their pacu loves feeder fish...probably because they are not offering anything else to the poor things.

amystours

Medium Fish
Feb 26, 2006
I got mine in June, at about 2", and he is now about...ah...I guess 13 or 14". He is the MAIN reason I have been wanting to get a 125 gallon tank. I already have the thing drawn into my wall, and I've reinforced floors and everything, just still really unsure about the bracing under the house.

Okay, colorful? Where is everybody else?? Can someone help here? I guess if you got a big enough tank, a knifefish would be neat...maybe not a clown or something that will get that large, maybe a black ghost knife? Someone else help here!!

Feb 20, 2007
Thanks. I love the black knife fish. I am just scared now that I will come home one day and he will have bursted through my 55. They didn't bother to tell me this at the pet store when I bought him. he is so cute though -- I don't want to get rid of him.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
yep, unfortunately pacus are schooling fish that get VERY large...it would probably be best to find some fish that you like that will be able to stay in your 55 long term. Check out the cichlids, there are a lot of them that sort of have similar bodytypes...or maybe something like tinfoil barbs?

amystours

Medium Fish
Feb 26, 2006
As a side note, I do go lurk in the fish department at Wal-Mart once in a while, just to see what they have, (they have some beautiful bettas once in a while) and their sign on their Pacu tank says "Maximum Size - 10 inches" :eek: I kid you not!!!

I still work at PetSmart (I know some of y'all hate the place, but I'm one of the good guys)...let me see if I can find a care sheet for the Pacu..

Here's a site that I haven't read all the way yet...
::: Pacu -- Tropical Fish of the Amazon :::

Here's one for the knifefish: Knifefish

Feb 20, 2007
thanx for all the info and the sites to look at. I decided to keep the pacu cause I really like it as it gets bigger I'm gonna go ahead and get a big tank but today I just bought a 29 and I'm gonna put the cichlids in it I found some really cool ones ---
Thanx everyone