What happened to my fish?

bubble709

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I started a small tank two weeks ago. I have three sunset platy and one algae eater, and now my algae eater is not moving, but he is not floating on the surface like when the other fish die. The algae eater just sink to the bottom of the tank, and not moving...so can anyone help me out? is my algae eater dead?

bubble709

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
btw...my algae eater is a otocinclus
i'm a beginner to this, so i am not really sure what to feed it...so any suggestion why my otto is not moving or suggestions on anything would help...thanks!

R

ronrca

He might be. Stick your hand in and see. Otos are not as hardy as some people think. They are delicate when it comes cycling (like most fish). Because you just started your tank 2 weeks ago, the tank has not cycled yet therefore ammonia and nitrites will rise very high, killing most fish. Another thing, how much algae do you have? After 2 weeks, I dont think that you would have much algae. Did you feed him? That could be one of the causes also. You can buy sinking pellets from the pet store that are for algae eaters. Check it out next time!

bubble709

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
yea...i didn't feed him, i thought he can take care of itself. I didn't think that new tank shouldn't have much algae. Well...*cry*...my FISH!!! Anyway...thanks for the help.

Kristin

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
  Sounds likee ammonia poisoning. I am sorry to say that this is irriversable. he will hang on for a while, but will not survive for more than a week or two. it is probably best to euthanize and wait until after your tank has been completely cycled for about a month before you get one. also, if it is a pleco, next time instead of a pleco i recommend a chinese algae eater or an oto. plecos have alot of drawbacks that would take forever to list.

Kristin

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
 woops, it is an oto. ok good choice for an algae eater, but they aree delicate as said above and it would be beetter to wait until your tank has aged about 2 or 3 months. also, try to get them in at least a group of 3- they get lonely like cories and need a friend.  :p but i think otos aree probably the best choice for a platy tank, because they are non agressive and won't eat the platy babies and do a very good job cleaning.

bubble709

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have been thinking if my tank is too small...because i am a beginning at this...so i only bought a little one gallon tank to have a little fun. Will there be enough algae for the algae eater in a small tank like this?

scrimman

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.caprok.net
Doubtfull, unless you have strong light or sunlight on it.  Then you'd run into the problem of alge eater eating only 1 or 2 varietys of the alge that'll show up, and if it's only a 1 gal there isn't enough room for any other fish.

Kristin

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I agree- in a one gal you should only have 3 neons, one platy, 3 danios- etc. there is a one inch per gallon rule for new tanks to keep the biofilter in balance. also, do some research on the nitrogen cycle and different types of filtration that will help you more understand an underwater ecosystem. HTH

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
There is a gonopodium on the under belly of the stomach or in other words that there is a fin type extension on the under belly that the fem. don't have. How often do the have birth about every 30 days they will have young ;D